PDA

View Full Version : January 2010 Photo & Caption Comments Thread

Stefan-A
01-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Comments about this month's photo and caption contest get posted here, so that we keep the contest threads free of clutter.

Before submitting any pictures, please read the rules.

drache
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Jeff, that's almost exactly the idea, except you can't photo shop it - you have to build the actual model of NYC, put your snakes in it, and photograph it
the good news is that you have a couple more weeks to do it, and it already looks great

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Jeff, that's almost exactly the idea, except you can't photo shop it - you have to build the actual model of NYC, put your snakes in it, and photograph it
the good news is that you have a couple more weeks to do it, and it already looks great
awwwe, I liked his entry too.... This is a really cool idea for the photo contest, but if users are not allowed to use photoshop I doubt we will see much of a turnout in participation, simply because I don't think a lot of people will want to spend the time required to setup a scene. I was all prepared to photoshop it up! If I get some down time, I will surely give this some thought on what I could pull out of my closet to take some pics with :)

Stefan-A
01-11-2010, 11:30 PM
We might as well rename the contest then, if it's not going to be about photography. Maybe cancel the caption contest while we're at it, it's pretty redundant.

drache
01-12-2010, 06:05 AM
perhaps for this month we could have a third contest for the photo shop crowd? or fold it into the captions thread?
I do really like that image, but the photo contest should stay within certain parameters
remember when we had the garter with water theme and James created this image that was just like in a natural setting, but he staged it all - very cool
remember - it doesn't have to look real - hokey is okay - just as long as it makes your garter look gigantic
a couple of years back a member had photographed her/his garter in a lego set-up . . .

Jeff B
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
If its any consolation those are taken from actual photos of my personal snakes that I took pictures of.

jitami
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Jeff, I love it... I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not as talented at photo shop & it would take me forever... guess I could go steal one of the neighbor kids' doll house... yeah, and one of MY snakes would pose on it... sure... lol

mustang
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
perhaps for this month we could have a third contest for the photo shop crowd? or fold it into the captions thread?
I do really like that image, but the photo contest should stay within certain parameters
remember when we had the garter with water theme and James created this image that was just like in a natural setting, but he staged it all - very cool
remember - it doesn't have to look real - hokey is okay - just as long as it makes your garter look gigantic
a couple of years back a member had photographed her/his garter in a lego set-up . . .
dangit thats somewhat my idea! I REAALY HOPE NOONE TAKES MINE....but i dont want to say it...my idea

drache
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
okay
because I know this is a tough theme, and I can't enter, I thought I'd make a quickie attempt for an example - disclaimers and all.
my camara is being repaired, and this is my cell phone
I really didn't set it up; it so happened that Mikhaila was playing with this lego set. I did not do anything with the background, and the lighting is just what there is - a mix of window and ceiling light. Sammy just wouldn't open her mouth either, and I just didn't want to go through the trouble of thawing a food item, although . . . if I was a contestant, it might be worth attending to some of that
anyway - here goes:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4278622547_08af8e45bc.jpg

I expect somebody could come up with something at least as good as this - Mikhaila wouldn't let me wreak any real havoc and destruction either . . .

ConcinusMan
01-17-2010, 03:57 AM
I favor the idea of making photoshop and real props both qualify. It's still some effort to do photo edit than it is to come up with decent props. I like the real prop idea but so many snakes, so little props in the house.

gregmonsta
01-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I like the real prop idea but so many snakes, so little props in the house.

:rolleyes: That's what makes it a challenge :p

drache
01-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I favor the idea of making photoshop and real props both qualify. It's still some effort to do photo edit than it is to come up with decent props. I like the real prop idea but so many snakes, so little props in the house.
yes - it's still an effort, but it's a different creative process; taking a photograph with a potentially uncooperative live subject in it is a very different effort from patching something that bloomed in your brilliant mind into an image on the computer
what we're having here is a photo contest, and I think both of those images should be moved (perhaps into a newly created collage contest???)
otherwise it'd be kind of like asking your chem teacher whether you can just do a little internet research instead of labs today, because you hate wearing that face mask

Jeff B
01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
They should have had the Iowa Hawkeye football and wrestling teams come down there and clean things up as they are proven monster destroyers. lol

Stefan-A
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Photoshopping will be allowed this once. Personally, I don't like it, but I will allow it.

It's not my place to tell you on what grounds to reject a candidate when it's time to vote, either.

drache
01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
aye - the man has spoken

mustang
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
true i almost did props with "risk" figures from the boardgame but i didnt have ay sceanery the only one i could think of was this castle i used to play with at my graniies before she passed on...now its in my uncles house in burnet county buot 2 hour drive...that photoshop took 2+ hoiurs to do...ON FINALS WEEK (mid term)...its still a mojor acomplishment to me even if i dont win...i loved the theam of this contest

drache
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
it really is a nice piece, and I do think we ought to perhaps run a photoshop/collage contest with a theme once or twice a year
in a way I'm glad my theme brought this up, even if I'm still a tad disappointed about the lack of enthusiasm about the physical staging of it

drache
01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
woohooo - you go Greg
that's what I'm talking about
it's been an awful mess of a day and you just made it all better
I can hear Ima Sumac doing the sound to this

gregmonsta
01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Hehe :) a fearsome challenge for any predator.

Stefan-A
01-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Well, they do enjoy their challenges. ;)

ConcinusMan
01-20-2010, 02:40 AM
it really is a nice piece, and I do think we ought to perhaps run a photoshop/collage contest with a theme once or twice a year
in a way I'm glad my theme brought this up, even if I'm still a tad disappointed about the lack of enthusiasm about the physical staging of it

I wouldn't so much call it a lack of enthusiasm. It's a great idea. I would however, expect very few entries for the originally intended theme due to a lack of "can do it". Maybe if we had a month's notice before the contest began...

drache
01-20-2010, 06:27 AM
I think that's the case for most of the contests though
and if it takes two hours to photo shop something, I don't see why that time can't be spent buttering up your nephews or neighbour's kids for their action figures (in fact they may have some great ideas too)
I doubt Greg spent two hours - he's got no extra time between educating the young, rocking out, and being nice to his snakes and the girlfriend (may have messed up the order of things a bit) - and it doesn't look like he used a ton of props either, eh?

ConcinusMan
01-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Nice one greg. That's a great photo.