PDA

View Full Version : December 2009 Photo and Caption Comments

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Comments about this month's photo and caption competitions get posted here, so that we keep the competition threads free of clutter.

Before submitting any pictures, please read the rules.

ConcinusMan
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I love that photo of the snake swallowing the mouse. The look on his face is precious!

Calift
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Voted...what great entries!! :D

ConcinusMan
01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
This is very interesting. The photo contest a tie so far between 3 people. And the caption contest is a tie between 5! Holy crud!
I didn't get a single vote. :( What the heck? I can't believe it. If it wasn't mine, I would have voted for the green cordoroy caption. A garter with a sense of fashion. Now that's just funny stuff right there.

Hey, I have an idea. Since there is no limit to the # of times one can enter the caption contest, perhaps voting method should be changed. So that we not only know WHO's caption won, but WHICH caption was the favorite. Perhaps we could vote by post # ?

It might even be cool to remove the limit from the photo contest and vote by post # too. That way we can get to see more cool photos. What do you think everyone? Start 2010 with a new and improved thamnophis contest?

drache
01-04-2010, 06:54 PM
only 11 people voted so far

zooplan
01-05-2010, 02:05 AM
I know I were late but not too late,
although it was easy to choose this time ;)

ConcinusMan
01-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Yeah but it's easy to see WHO's caption was voted for, but which one? Some people entered multiple times. did anyone understand what I'm getting at? What about my idea? any feedback?

We could also be missing out on some great photos due to the ONE ENTRY PER PERSON limit placed on the photo contest.

drache
01-05-2010, 06:02 AM
people should just post their great photos so we don't miss out
the contest is the contest

stripe&houdini
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I didn't even get one vote!

Stefan-A
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah but it's easy to see WHO's caption was voted for, but which one? Some people entered multiple times. did anyone understand what I'm getting at? What about my idea? any feedback?

We could also be missing out on some great photos due to the ONE ENTRY PER PERSON limit placed on the photo contest.
Yeah, we understand what you're getting at.

Right now, I'm waiting to see what the public opinion seems to be, how much support your suggestion gets and once I have that, I'll weigh that against the added trouble of trying to make it possible to keep track of which poll option goes with which contest entry.

If it were up to me, I'd limit it to one entry per person in the caption contest, too. But that's just me. Another thing we've discussed at some point in the past, is how much photoshopping should be allowed in the caption contest.

ConcinusMan
01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't have a problem with the photoshopping to add captions as long as the original content of the photo isn't altered or taken away. In fact, I really liked the one with the snake wearing the santa hat. That one's cool. The main thing I have a problem with is that once the results are in for the caption contest, we'll know who won, but we won't know which caption drew all those votes. If you change anything, change that.

drache
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
ooohhhh - is it the poll you're talking about?

ConcinusMan
01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes. I'm talking about changing the way the poll is set up. I'm not in favor limiting to just one entry (perhaps a 2 entry limit?)on the photo or caption contest, but I'd like to know which photo or caption won, not just who's.

drache
01-06-2010, 05:29 AM
we used to get little thumbnails of the entries at the beginning of the poll thread - that was cool
but I don't see a good way to consistently label images without getting into long descriptions at times

ConcinusMan
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Just for example let's say that drache puts in his 2 entries on a 2 entry limit. Voting would be like this with the # being the post #. We'd vote on the entry (post) # so we can specify which one of drache's entries we liked best. That's just one way it might be done. Don't know if that would be a pain to set up or what.

drache
entry (post) # 5
entry (post) #8

ConcinusMan
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Ooops. I meant lets say that drache puts HER 2 entries... Sorry.

Charis
01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I have thought about that too, but just assumed it was too hard to do. However I would really like it if something like that could be done. There have been times somebody has put in 3 captions & I like one of them the best, but didn't like their other captions as well as someone else's. In that case, usually I vote for the person that has the most captions I like, rather than the person that has the one caption I like best of all. If that made sense.

ConcinusMan
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I guess it makes sense but I have been voting for the person that has the caption or photo I liked best. If it's hard to decide, then yeah, a vote for the person that has more than one caption I liked is who gets the vote. But you do see how this idea would eliminate that dilemma AND let us know which caption or photo was liked the best.

gregmonsta
01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
I still feel that 1 photo each for the photo comp is the way it should be. It gives everyone an even chance and prevents a bias towards people who have more time/ability to present multiple shots. :rolleyes: I think it would be nice to get the thumbnail listings back.

drache
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I still feel that 1 photo each for the photo comp is the way it should be. It gives everyone an even chance and prevents a bias towards people who have more time/ability to present multiple shots. :rolleyes: I think it would be nice to get the thumbnail listings back.
I second that entire statement

Stefan-A
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Somebody probably won the contests. Congratulations to them.

gregmonsta
01-10-2010, 04:52 PM
:) .... aye, congrats to somebody :D

drache
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I'll go check

oh boy, thanks - one of them was me
and congrats, Steve

give me a few hours to contemplate a decent theme - it's been quite a day (in a good way), and I didn't expect this

guidofatherof5
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Congrats, Rhea.

ConcinusMan
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Congrats! well deserved.

Doesn't surprise me. Her photo entry was great. Silly snake!

I would say my next favorite was the first entry by mtolypetsupply. You have to admit it was a great pic. The snake looked so cute. Like he was laughing yet being assertive. Way cool.