PDA

View Full Version : So what kinda snake is this guy?

confused
11-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Woodpecker vs Snake - CollegeHumor video (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1925153)
:D

drache
11-22-2009, 05:42 AM
very cool footage - thanks for sharing
I'm no ID expert and I'll leave that part to others

Stefan-A
11-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Leaning towards Pseustes sp., probably Pseustes sulphureus.

Mommy2many
11-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I was rooting for the snake. Ya think the woodpecker would have given up after the first few strikes.

ssssnakeluvr
11-22-2009, 12:20 PM
so was I :rolleyes: I am thinking the snake already had some lunch (baby wood[eckers) and the parent woodpecker was trying to save them... GO snake! :D

charles parenteau
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Very very nice video !!!
Stefan you are right ,I went on google end few pictures match with Pseustes sulphureus,

Thamnophis Man
11-22-2009, 09:14 PM
When the snake first comes out of the hole. You can see that it had just swallowed an egg.

Stefan-A
11-23-2009, 12:20 AM
When the snake first comes out of the hole. You can see that it had just swallowed an egg.
The species, if I've identified it correctly, does inflate its throat as a defensive display. But I agree otherwise, it had been raiding the nest.

ConcinusMan
11-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Correct. I believe that Stephan's ID is correct. I was looking at vegetation and listening to the local guides' vocal accents and background bird songs and came up with the same conclusion. (South America) I also noticed that the snake's "bulge" was a threat response (it came, and went at will, like a cobra's hood) and that his body was laterally compressed, suggesting an aquatic and/or abborial adaptation. Good job Stephan, I concur with your ID.

Now where can I get one of these snakes? Awsome. I love his spirit. I admire the birds' spirit even more! If you'll notice, after getting caught twice, the bird takes some time to plan, and comes back for more! I love it. Great video. I had observed similar behavior between So. California ground squirrels Vs. large gopher snakes and gopher snake/king snakes vs. burrowing owls. Quite entertaining, but at the time, there was no such thing as everyone carrying a camera phone, and no digital recorders of any kind. Had to record the experience the old fashioned way < memory.