11-21-2009, 04:00 AM
HI

i hope anyone can help me.
is this Thamnophis ordinoides or Sirtalis Pickeringii blue

http://www.schlangenwelt.de/forum/files/cimg5128_753.jpg

I think its a blue Pickeringii

drache
11-21-2009, 06:24 AM
don't mind me - I'm not one of the experts - but it looks like pickeringii to me also

gregmonsta
11-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Pickeringii ;)

ssssnakeluvr
11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
pickeringi....I don't think anyone in Europe has any ordinoides.

DIRK
11-21-2009, 11:21 AM
pickeringi....I don't think anyone in Europe has any ordinoides.

Thank you...

Isgard Schober, Germany
look at Liophis.de Die Seite für den Schlangenfreund (http://www.liophis.de)

She´s holding ordinoides;)

ssssnakeluvr
11-21-2009, 12:03 PM
cool!!! not too many people with ordinoides in Europe..:rolleyes:

DIRK
11-21-2009, 01:21 PM
cool!!! not too many people with ordinoides in Europe..:rolleyes:

ok, that´s right;)

ssssnakeluvr
11-21-2009, 02:51 PM
LOL! I am hoping to get more ordinoides this spring... I have a melanistic male right now.

ConcinusMan
11-22-2009, 03:21 AM
You won't see blue like that on an ordinoides. Their heads are smaller too.

DIRK
11-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks to all for your information:):):)

ssssnakeluvr
11-22-2009, 12:23 PM
You won't see blue like that on an ordinoides. Their heads are smaller too.
there were some on here a few years ago....sold by "Bob" as stunning blue garters....some of the babies he was selling were blue ordinoides.... my melanistic has blue on his chin too.

ConcinusMan
11-22-2009, 10:05 PM
there were some on here a few years ago....sold by "Bob" as stunning blue garters....some of the babies he was selling were blue ordinoides.... my melanistic has blue on his chin too.

Got any pictures? I've found that "blue" or "purple" ordinoides were really a result of luck, and the effect was produced by intermingling of two different colors. Not true blue or true purple. Sort of like a TV does. It creates those colors by intermingling of primary colors. I too have found ordinoides that are a sort of blue in overall appearance, but closer look reveals that it's not really blue. That's why I put "like that" in italics.

ssssnakeluvr
11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I have been searching on here...someone had posted regarding blue garters from "Bob"....showed some baby pics...some were pickeringi, and others were ordinoides.... I can't seem to find the pics. I don't have any goos pics of my melanisitic ordinoides at the moment...andy that show the blue chin.... will be working on new photos soon

ConcinusMan
11-23-2009, 02:21 AM
OK thanks. Since this thead was a question, and it has already been answered, could you please PM me. I've already seen the "purple" ordinodes. I don't have any pics, but I have captured my fair share of melanistic ordinoids myself. At the time, I thought, yeah, neeto. I guess I didn't really grasp the significance of their existance at the time. It's been a few years, but I believe the area is still undeveloped. I'm going to do some serious "hunting" this coming spring. Going to the ordinoides hot spots (brumating sites) to take pics or collect any notable individuals, and going to some concinnus hot spots to show examples of green stripes, yellow stripes, and the occasional laterally striped individuals. It'll be fun just looking for them. Should have good luck finding some strikingly unusual or beautiful ordinoides. It is the most common snake in my area, afterall. An experienced snake hunter can find hundreds in one day if he chooses the right location, time of year, and weather conditions. Just please do PM me if you find a "blue" example of an ordinoides. I found one once or twice, but it was more of a "steel" blue. (Neonates that appear blue (bob's?) tend to turn grey after a year or two. If you find these hot spots during fall or winter breeding, you can find some that are just absolutely stunning. Most are quite ordinary as the name suggests, but if you find them in great numbers, your chances of finding one or two that are unusual are very good.