PDA

View Full Version : Wild Garter caught on 10/23: Injured

Inno
11-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Hello, Sorry I have to introduce myself on the urgent care forums but I do need help more than anything. So it's almost been two weeks after I caught this one snake, I believe it to be a female but I'm not really that good at figuring out snake genders. But here's her story, from what I know it. On 10/22, during the afternoon, my mom spotted a snake that was bleeding from it's underside. The dogs had caught it and was playing with it, thankfully she saved it and she put it on the other side of the fence. She approached me with the question if a snake could live bleeding like that, and I stated that I had no idea if they could. So, next day. Watching the kids I do after school, I let the dogs outside because they needed to be watched. I had a couple of friends over, the dogs suddenly went quiet so I went to go check on them. I looked over, seeing them with something on the ground. I thought the dog had a stick, but when the dog lifted her head it was a swaying snake body. I told her to drop it and opened the gate and grabbed the snake. At this point is wasn't moving and it was bleeding a bit from it's under belly, and it had a huge bulge with an open wound that was also bleeding about three to four inches from it's head. It was clear the dog didn't bite the snake, the dog's teeth were far larger than what the snake had for wounds. It was about 40 degrees out, and with the wind it was even colder, so me and my friends watched it for a bit. We stuck it on the stair step and poked at it, it didn't move very much. It was covered in dog drool. After a while of letting it rest, I touched it's head and it backed away. Everyone agreed it was good news because we thought we would eventually have to kill him seeing as one of my friends had a jack knife on her. After seeing her react, I went and got a sweater and wrapped her in it to see if she'd get more active being warmer and she did. We brought her up stairs and got her more warmed up, she was eventually tasting the air and such. But the wound on her back was pretty bad looking, I thought it went fully through her but it certainly didn't. I thought her back was broken, and it might be because she couldn't move her middle section of her body. And she still can't. But I grabbed some newspaper and a small critter carrier tank and put her in that for the night, I got a 10 gallon tank a day after I found her. And I made a hiding place and covered the bottom with more newspaper. And I stuck a small bowl of water in with her. I got advice on another forum, not many people replied but I got an answer to put neosporin on her and I've been doing that since the second day. Right now, she isn't bleeding. The large bump on her back has almost completely went down but the wound on her back and her paralysis worries me a lot now as my mom told me I can't keep her. I'll get pictures up soon, but I'll describe what I can for now. The wound on her back is about the size of a small beebee pellet, it's clear that it injury doesn't go all the way through and you can see her muscles, I thought I saw her backbone at one point but I wasn't sure. But it doesn't smell, it's stained white due to the neosporin creme as I couldn't find my clear ointment. But she's moving around the cage better now, I've watched her drink water many times but I haven't fed her because I have no heat source for her to help her digest. But it looks a lot better than it use to, her belly wound is pretty fine now too. She does get a bit irritated now when I pick her up, and it's clear that her wound is painful as she tries rather hard to get away from me when I clean out her wound. She climb around on her own body to move to one place to the next, but I always find her curled up in her house the next morning so she much be doing something right. But what should I do now? Do you think there's some hope for her, even though she can only move her head and her tail? Here's another question. Does anyone here live in Maine that could take her? Thanks, Inno

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi there,

well, it doesn't sound too good. She needs to be in supervised care for as long as that paralysis remains. If she can't move a good portion of her body, it could be temporary or it may be permanent. If it is permanent, she most likely will die. If she didn't die and it's permanent, she would need to be cared for by hand for the rest of her life. If it is temporary and she regains movement she could be released, but at this point I would not count on that happening as it sounds pretty severe. She at the very least needs to remain in captivity until she is FULLY healed and what not. Keeping her wounds clean is a great thing, and i would not worry about feeding her right now because she needs to heal up, if she can at all. They can go a long time without eating and sometimes it is necessary to withhold food while they are healing.

The thing is, that by the time she may be well enough to be released, it will be the dead of winter, so you are going to have to keep her for at least until spring time. Garter snakes migrate to an underground den where they spend the winter, and releasing her into the cold would be the end of her, for sure. She would freeze to death before she even left your yard. Honestly though, if she can't move a big portion of her body, she may be doomed :(

drache
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think we have any members in Maine
if you're willing to care for her, there's some chance she may recover
does your vet look at reptiles?
welcome to the forum btw

Inno
11-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Wow.. I'm sorry for that block of text.. I could have sworn I made paragraphs.. Anyway, I know.. We had out first snow today where I live, and of course it didn't stay on the ground but it was cold enough for that.. It's not the type of weather I'd release her into personally. And okay, I'll hold off the feeding. Hopefully she has enough energy to heal.. She's a real sweetheart. -- Crap D= I'm more than willing, but my mom certainly isn't, but it's not like they eat live things that have eyes commonly.. And no.. I don't think we have reptile vets around where I live, and even if I did.. I don't have the money. I can't even bring my rabbits into the vets.

Odie
11-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Inno :)
Try talking with Mom again, she may rethink if you show her how much you seem to know :D

snakems
11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Im truly sorry your snake is in such bad shape :( I just recently had a cat attack a baby snake that I then tried caring for. It didnt turn out good. But hopefully yours will have a happy ending! :( She will be in my prayers!

ConcinusMan
11-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Let me see.. I think maine has a ban on keeping any species of garter snake. unfortunate. Bottom line is, there's probably billions of that same snake out there thriving and so very little sympathy from local authorities, although you do have our sympathy. We love garters and hate to see one die, no matter how insignificant the individual might be. Good luck. I hope he makes it. you really do need to keep him warm though, 75-85 I would say, for an injured garter, and for goodness sake, handle him as little as possible, and keep him in a sterile(as can be) container. The risk of infection is high, and the germs aren't good for humans either. Wash your hands!

I have often found very young garters out on the ground this time of year, around Portland, Oregon, even if it's very cold. Usually, it's because they tried to hibernate in active rodent burrows and were pushed out, or flooded out by high water. It's possible the injuries were caused by a rodent, and the dog just happened to find him.