PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wisconsin U.S.A.

jimijaw
03-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey all just wanted to say hello and explain why I joined. I am a snake fanatic and have been for over a year now. I am wanting to try my hand at Garter snakes so I figured this is the place to learn. Thanks for having me.

Sid
03-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Welcome to the forum. Being new to Garters you may want to read the care sheets posted on them. Great details on their care.

Enjoyed it here,
Sid

Cazador
03-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi Jimmy,

You're throwing your hat in the ring at just the right time. The garters are emerging from their dens, and beginning to breed. Do you think you'd probably buy one from a dealer/breeder or catch one locally?

I think you'll find their diversity amazing, and will discover fascinating things about garters that you never suspected. Have a look at some of our species sheets by clicking on the "articles" tab in the top right or take a look at "Thamnophis'" homepage (Kousebandslangen.nl (http://www.kousebandslangen.nl/index1.htm)) for a small taste of some of the color morphs. I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice to learn more about garter snakes.

Rick

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi jimijaw, welcome to this fine forum.

drache
03-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Welcome to this forum, Jimi
Do tell about some of your other snakes

Snaky
03-29-2007, 05:47 AM
And also a welcome from Belgium, enjoy it here!

Stefan-A
03-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Welcome aboard.

sschind
03-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Welcome fellow cheesehead. Where in WC Wisconsin. I live about 15 miles west of Kenosha.

Steve

Thamnophis
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Jimijaw, welcome here! :)

jimijaw
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! Im in Amery Wisconsin in the west central edge. I have at present 2 Ball Pythons, 4 Corn Snakes, 2 Milk snakes, and a Western Hognose. Next month Im picking up a Jungle carpet Python, 2 more corns, and a Black Racer. After I do my home work on Garter Snakes I plan on buying from breeders so I know I will get healthy snakes. Again thanks for the warm welcome. Jimi :)

Odie
03-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi how is it going mon

Cazador
03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi Jimmy,

For what it's worth, your fellow cheesehead (Steve) has owned a pet store for quite a while, but has recently decided to close it. He'd prefer to sell all of his remaining garters (nine snakes) at once to someone "local," rather than to ship them individually across the nation. He's offering them at a VERY reasonable price, so if you're at all interested, have a look at his snakes (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/sale-trade-adoption-wanted/464-possibly-selling-my-garters.html). Hope this isn't seen as "pressure," but I thought you might be interested. Kind regards,

Rick

sschind
03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I grew up in Chippewa Falls, and spent a fair amount of time in Baron County not too far away from you. Most of my family still lives up there but I moved down here to be closer to Illinois and my beloved Chicago Bears... NOT. Actually I moved down here to buy my pet shop but the thought of moving back up north and opening one up there is still in my mind. Hope you find what you are looking for and everyone on here is pretty helpful. Except that one guy who posted his snakes for sale and then proceeded to ignore everyone who tried to contact him about them.

Welcome to the World of garter snakes.

Steve

jimijaw
04-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Again thanks to all for the warm welcome!!! Kinda feels like home. I have been reading the care sheets and am about ready to start buying some. Jimi

Cazador
04-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Jimmi,

My hat's off to you. It's great (and somewhat rare) that people start out by reading before buying their first pet snake. You might also be interested in this thread (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/203-best-snake-books.html). Best,

Rick

jimijaw
04-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Thank you Cazador. Im 56 years old so Ive learned that you better do your home work before you go out and buy. I do it on each species as they are all different in their own way. Besides I feel We owe it to the captive pet to know as much as we can about it to take care of it properly. Again thanks. Jimi

suzoo
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Besides I feel We owe it to the captive pet to know as much as we can about it to take care of it properly. Again thanks. Jimi

Hello and a warm belated welcome! And I agree 100% to taking the best care of all captive animals!!!!

jimijaw
04-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Thank you suzoo I feel its only right as we are blessed with these for companionship or breeding either way we owe it to them.:) Jimi