PDA

View Full Version : constrict

grimmy
03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
i know garters usually dont constrict but do they ever in there live im just curious cause my milks constrict

adamanteus
03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Garters are not constrictors. The closest thing I've personally seen to contriction from a garter is when the snake presses a loop of it's body onto a struggling prey animal to subdue it whilst swallowing. No actual constriction in the true sense of the word though. I think Garters lack the nesessary musculature to constrict.

Cazador
03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Ya know what? I think that's probably true about 99.9999999% of the time, but I've actually seen a picture of a garter "full-on constricting" a pre-killed mouse. I don't remember if the picture was on this website, or possibly on Yahoo. I'll see if I can find it.

Rick

adamanteus
03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Really? Are you sure it wasn't just holding it? Surely Garters lack the power (and instinct?) to contrict. I'd like to see picture, I love being proven wrong!!:rolleyes:

adamanteus
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I've seen some viper species constrict (only arboreal forms) but again this could be interpreted as "holding" rather than constriction. That said, it looked like constriction to me!

Cazador
03-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I've found the picture, and I'm awaiting permission from the photographer before posting it here. I think you may be as surprised as I was to see such unusual behavior. I just don't know how else to describe the picture. BTW: The photographer is an "adjunct professor in biology" with a PhD, and she described it as "constricting." Hopefully permission will come soon.

Rick

abcat1993
03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
When I first got my garter it kept wrapping its tail around me and jumping off hanging by its tail, so it might have the instincts.

Stefan-A
03-29-2007, 12:30 AM
As far as I know, it has been witnessed, but all sources describe it as restraining rather than constricting. So I'm pretty curious myself as to what those garters are actually doing.

Cazador
03-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Fasten your seatbelts, Ladies and Gentlemen. Here's an odd little picture of a T.e. vagrans "constricting" a hopper. It's an aberrant behavior, but those are usually the most interesting ;).

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/Tevagrans_constricting.jpg

P.S. This photo is courtesy of Dr. Lani Lyman-Henley

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 01:59 AM
Well, I'll be!!

Cazador
03-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Since I'll be eligible to win next month's photo contest (you see, I can't win this month's contest BECAUSE I WON LAST MONTH :rolleyes:), I propose that next month's theme be "constricting garters." Then everyone with a picture of one will have an equal chance of winning :D:D:D.

Rick

adamanteus
03-29-2007, 02:27 AM
I think maybe someone just tied that Garter in a knot, to make it look like constriction!;)

Stefan-A
03-29-2007, 06:27 AM
It's an aberrant behavior, but those are usually the most interesting ;).
Oh if we only could be around for a few hundred thousand years to see how successfull that gene is. :D

P.S. This photo is courtesy of Dr. Lani Lyman-Henley
Remember to thank him. :p