PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Hamburg!

THOR
03-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Hello and "Moin Moin" from Hamburg, Germany!

I'm new on this board and please excuse my English!

Im keeping Garter Snakes since 7 Years. Actually there are in my terrariums:

0,1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis occellatus
2,2 Thamnophis fulvus
1,2 Thamnophis marcianus marcianus
2,0 Thamnophis marcianus marcianus het. amel
0,1 Thamnophis marcianus marcianus amel.
1,0 Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus
0,1 Thamnophis sirtalis similis

and

2,2 Natrix natrix natrix

Greets, THOR

adamanteus
03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Hello THOR, and welcome to the forum.

Stefan-A
03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Welcome aboard.

Gijs & Sabine
03-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Thor and welcome from Holland:)
Maybe we meet eachother when we come to visit Hamburg this summer.

Your english is not so bad, and when you visit this forum regularly it'll get better and better, I can tell;)

Best wishes,

Sabine

Cazador
03-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi Thor,

Welcome to the forum. It's cool that you keep T. fulvus. You might be the first one on this forum to keep them. I'd love to see some pictures of them. Here are some directions for http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/181-posting-pictures.html. Take care,

Rick

drache
03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Thor
Welcome to this forum. Ich bin aus dem Odenwald, but living in New York.
T. fulvus are definitely on my wish list and I'd love to see pictures of yours.

Sid
03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Hello Thor,

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina, USA.

Sid

Snaky
03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Also a welcome from Belgium, enjoy it here!:)

You may always post some pictures if you want, that's always nice.

THOR
03-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Hello out there!

Thank you for this friendly welcome!
I would try to reply some of your threads.

@Gijs & Sabine: I would be glad to see you in Hamburg. I am living some kilometers northwest from Hamburg in a little town called Elmshorn. But I’m often in Hamburg, maybe nearly every day (for work). Some very good frinds of mine, which are also breeding thamnophis, live in the region Hamburg. So we will be glad to show you some of our reptile rooms. I think you have bought some thamnophis sirtalis melanistic from a good friend of mine some month ago. So … youre always welcome.

@cazador: In germany, maybe even in Europe, there are only a few people which have snakes of thamnophis fulvus. Last year me an a friend of mine successfully bred this spec. (I gave my adult male, an he his adult female). We hope ist wasn’t the last time ….

Here is a picture of my adult female:
http://www.thamnophis-zucht.de/bilder/bestand/F-01-D-04-036.jpg

An here a pic of a a few month old one
http://www.thamnophis-zucht.de/bilder/bestand/F-10-D-27-202.jpg

@drache: From Odenwald to Ney York! Das nenn ich mal nen ordentlichen Tapetenwechsel. You can see some pictures abowe. Is ist hard to get thamnophis fulvus in the USA? I had heard it isn’t.

Solong, greetz THOR

Thamnophis
03-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Hello Thor,

I also wish you much pleasure on this forum.
I still don't have good pictures of Thamnophis fulvus for my site, so if you would like to donate some... :D

Cazador
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi again Thor,

Thanks for sharing pictures of your T. fulvus, and congratulations on your breeding success. They're available in the U.S., but they're not that common in collections.

Rick

drache
03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Is ist hard to get thamnophis fulvus in the USA? I had heard it isn’t.

No, it's not hard to get them.
Scott Felzer will have some.
Hopefully by then, I'll be ready for more snakes

GarterGirl
04-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.
I'm half german. (Drache is my mom)
I'm Mikhaila. I'm 8-years-old.

GarterGuy
04-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Howdy and welcome to the forum Thor. Very nice collection of Thamnophis you've got there. Really cool to hear you're working with T.fulvus.....always good to see someone working with and even breeding some of the less common Thamnophis species.
Roy

suzoo
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Hello and welcome Thor, from Missouri, USA

Markus18
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
hallo thor!
schöne grüße aus dem wuppertal!

und zwar hab ich mal ne frage!:
stehen irgendwie natrix natrix natrix nachzuchten an?oder kennste vielleicht eine adresse wo ich welche kriegen kann?
schönen dank Markus:)

Sputnik
04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Herzlich willkommen, Thor!

THOR
04-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Hallo Markus!

Ich habe gerade gestern mein großes Natrix-Weibchen abgetastet und leider keine Eier feststellen können. Jetzt habe ich es mit meinem anderen Männchen zusammengesetzt und konnte heute schon diverse Paarungsversuche feststellen. Ich hoffe also, dass es dieses Jahr wieder mit Nachzuchten klappt.

Schreib mich doch einfach mal per Mail an und ich melde mich dann, wenn ich Eier im Inkubator habe!

Gruss THORsten

Because this is an english forum .... here is the translation:

Hello Markus!
Yesterday I scanned my large Natrix female and was unfortunately not able to tighten any eggs. Now I brang it together with my other male natrix and today already various mating attempts determine. I hope that it folds this year again with breeding natrix.
Write me by Mail and I announce myself if I have eggs in the Inkubator!
Greeting THORsten

Cazador
04-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi Thor,

It was very kind of you to translate your post :). Nice job, and thanks,

Rick

LeapinLeo
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
yeah I would never translate it as long as I live lol

adamanteus
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Thor. Are your Natrix wild caught? If so, did you find it difficult to get them feeding? What are they eating now? Tell me everything!

Odie
04-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi,:D from Oregon, Thor.

Thamnophis
04-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi Thor. Are your Natrix wild caught? If so, did you find it difficult to get them feeding? What are they eating now? Tell me everything!

I am not Thor, but have some experience with Natrix natrix...

We get every now and then Natrix natrix in our zoo. Always from the wild.
They start feeding as easy as most Thamnophis.
We feed them with a mix of:
Smelt
Other fish
Chicken filet
Chickenmeat with a piece of bone in it

THOR
04-25-2007, 03:28 AM
Hello and Moinsen!

In Germany it is forbade by law to catch any reptiles or amphibes from the german nature. If you keep these species in Germany in terrarium, you have to declare them to the authorities (called: "Untere Landschafts- und Naturschutzbehörde") and you have to prove, that your natrix natrix natrix are not wild caught. For that you have to have a "Nachzuchtbescheinigung" .... a formless paper which is isued by the breeder and which says, that this reptile is born/slipped in captivity.

My natrix natrix natrix are all slipped in captivity. They were all feed with dead baby rats, baby mice and fish filet.
My last year own breed have been feed the first time only with fish and chicken hearts ... later cutted pieces of baby mice.

I keep my natrix in the same way as my thamnophis.

Greetz, THORsten

Cazador
04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Thor,

Do you find any difference in the growth rate of your newborns fed chicken instead of mice/rats? Feeding chicken seems very popular in Europe. Also, a "Nachzuchtbescheinigung" sounds like a "receipt" in English. James (Adamanetus) recently acquired a beautiful N.n. helvetica, wasn't it James? How's it doing?

Rick

Thamnophis
04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Chickenmeat is an excellent foodsource for reptiles.
Ofcourse only when you add vitamins and minerals etc.
In the USA you are afraid for salmonella in chickenmeat?
I believe the chickenmeat in the Netherlands is very well controlled for diseases.

adamanteus
04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
James (Adamanetus) recently acquired a beautiful N.n. helvetica, wasn't it James? How's it doing?
Rick

Yes Rick, it's N. n. helvetica. He's doing pretty good, thanks for asking:). So placcid and easy to handle you'd swear he was captive bred. He was something of a reluctant feeder at first, but I offered him a smal frog and off he went! He's eating pretty much anything now (except shoes, he just doesn't seem interested!:rolleyes: )

drache
04-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi Thor,

Also, a "Nachzuchtbescheinigung" sounds like a "receipt" in English.

Rick

what it translates to is a certificate stating that this is a captive bred animal (an "after breed certificate")

THOR
04-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Hello!

Hi Thor,

Do you find any difference in the growth rate of your newborns fed chicken instead of mice/rats? Feeding chicken seems very popular in Europe.

I don't neither feed my thamnophis nor my natrix with chicken meat. They get only mice, rat and fish. I only feed chicken hearts in some cases. I find out, that jung and adult snakes which don't want to eat for themselves, will eat chicken hearts by themselves. But I think a feeding with chicken hearts for a long time would not be the best for the snake. So I soon beginn to shuffle the chicken hearts with other food. And after a while the part chicken heart would be more an more less.

Greetz, THOR