PDA

View Full Version : My garter snake won't eat...

jaimebraun
08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
She is avoiding food and now I think she just had a seisure....Does anybody know what this could be about. The snake went crazy and I have never seen it before--twisting turning, flopping around etc...any advice?

Boots
08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I am not sure what could be causing the problem, but I would call the veterinary!

Thamnophis
08-18-2006, 05:21 AM
She is avoiding food and now I think she just had a seisure....Does anybody know what this could be about. The snake went crazy and I have never seen it before--twisting turning, flopping around etc...any advice?

When you write: twisting turning, flopping around etc... I can't help to think that this could be caused by Thiaminase (shortage of Vitamin B1).
You really should visit your vet.

StoneSour
08-20-2006, 10:19 AM
When you write: twisting turning, flopping around etc... I can't help to think that this could be caused by Thiaminase (shortage of Vitamin B1).
You really should visit your vet.

I agree with that, sounds exactlly like Vitamin B1 deficiency. I would highly recommend a vet visit.

CrazyHedgehog
08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
In the 80's I had a similar thing happen, had never seen anything like it either, like a fit, snake quite literally throwing itself around...at the time I was feeding the snakes on whitebait, (as that was what the pet shop had advised at the time!) and yes it turned out to be a thiamanese problem.

The vet had no idea at first, (out in the hills, had never been asked about a snake before!) but researched it and found out...gave the snake an injection and also explained to me the problem with the food!

Anyway, the snake made a full recovery!
What are you feeding it on?

Hilde
08-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Hmmm that sound serieus. Have you already been to a vet? How's the snake doing now?