PDA

View Full Version : Pimples!!

wadih
10-14-2009, 11:11 AM
I need help with my sick garter snake, I am not sure if any one have a solution or treatment for this problem, but any help would be appreciated. IT is to note that this is an adult male that has been with me for more than one year.

One week ago, strange pimples started to appear on its body. The pimples grow and became hard and dry. More than 10 pimples exist now on its body. The snake still eats well and active as usual.

I do not know if this is a common sickness for garter snake or not, but i hope somebody knows how to treat the snake.

Stefan-A
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking parasites.

jitami
10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Here's a decent article to take a look at...

Lumps and Bumps in Snakes (http://www.petplace.com/reptiles/lumps-and-bumps-in-snakes/page1.aspx)

adamanteus
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Possibly subcutaneous worms.

drache
10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
whenever I've encountered lumps it's turned out to be subcutaneous worms, but they were usually elongated lumps, and these look more round to me

GarterGeek
10-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Is it possible that the snake has "blisters", caused by an excess of humidity? When my snake had blisters I applied antibiotics to the lumps and removed the plants I was trying to grow in the aquarium.

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
well it's one of those two things... blisters or worms! but if you have had him for that long and you re keeping him clean and dry it would be really weird to see a sudden eruption of blisters. Those can be caused by too much humidity and dirty conditions. Subcutaneous worms however... I could definitely see those just popping up all at once!

wadih
10-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Possibly subcutaneous worms.

I ilimenated a lot of possibilities such as bad food or dirty enviroment, and couldn't reach a solution. However, after reading this article things became much clearer and I can assure from the look and feel of the pimples that they are abscesses.

I will try to treat them as regular human abscesses although the article indicates that due to its hard nature it can be only removed by surgergy. I really think it is impossible to have that here.

Thanks a lot, it was a very helpfull article.

Hope things will get better...

mustang
10-15-2009, 11:07 AM
good luck i hope it gets better!

KITKAT
10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I ilimenated a lot of possibilities such as bad food or dirty enviroment, and couldn't reach a solution. However, after reading this article things became much clearer and I can assure from the look and feel of the pimples that they are abscesses.

I will try to treat them as regular human abscesses although the article indicates that due to its hard nature it can be only removed by surgergy. I really think it is impossible to have that here.

Thanks a lot, it was a very helpfull article.

Hope things will get better...

I doubt very seriously that these are abcesses. Blisters look like abcesses if you break them. I would advise you to treat for blisters.

wadih
10-17-2009, 05:08 AM
I doubt very seriously that these are abcesses. Blisters look like abcesses if you break them. I would advise you to treat for blisters.

As a start I moved it to a very dry container with a small bowl of water. It is still eatting well and actting normally. I think I will do some Betadine solution soaking treatment for him.

I am not sure what else to do.... Vets do not accept garter snakes and I asked the shop where I bought and the guy just gave me another garter snake in replace for it (as a polite way to make me leave) :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the advice...