PDA

View Full Version : N00B with another snake

mothersnake
10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
After building a habitat - 10g tank, plants, water, hidey hole - for an unknown variety of garter snake my little one insisted on keeping.:D Well, we just found another snake. It's small ~ 7", brown on top, yellow on bottom and very quiet. I was hunting worms for the other one when I found it. Can I keep them together? The garter is eating worms 2-3x/wk. I'm running out of pet space, but can't take the drama of trama should one devour the other. THANKS! :)

Stefan-A
10-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

I wouldn't recommend keeping them together at the moment, but it should become safe once there isn't such a huge size difference. Photos would help us confirm that it's indeed a garter and that it's not a Wandering Garter, a species of garter that's known to be cannibalistic.

GarterGeek
10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Welcome!:D

Does the snake have a yellow or orange ring around it's neck?

Snakers
10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
i woudnt sounds like a ring neck to me they are known to eat other snakes post some pics so we can identify it

Snakers
10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
oh also welcome

Odie
10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Mothersnake :)

guidofatherof5
10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Nice to have you on the forum. Welcome.

mothersnake
10-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the greetings all. I believe we have a brown earth snake. Sweet little thing. It too eats worms. I was a little surprised it found time to eat, as it barely leaves my daughters hand. The garter, we think is an eastern. It's about 12" long and for now they will have separate rooms. I went looking for the camera and of course couldn't find it. Will post photos as soon as the camera resurfaces. It's great to have such a resource! I'm usually a catch and release person, but - what we do for our kids! I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Odie
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Got or can you get any pic's :confused:

mustang
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the greetings all. I believe we have a brown earth snake. Sweet little thing. It too eats worms. I was a little surprised it found time to eat, as it barely leaves my daughters hand. The garter, we think is an eastern. It's about 12" long and for now they will have separate rooms. I went looking for the camera and of course couldn't find it. Will post photos as soon as the camera resurfaces. It's great to have such a resource! I'm usually a catch and release person, but - what we do for our kids! I'll keep you posted on our progress.
earth snakes are a lot like a species of ring neck snake called the flat head they dont get bigger thanaround 8 inches i believe(mine got to 8) and good goin on the whole worm thing it took me a while to find out what it ate.....pics please...o welcome! (flat heads DONOT have a ring around the neck but are within the tantilla family)