PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys

grimmy
03-27-2007, 04:51 AM
I'm new and I caught a injured garter yesterday it has a cut on the stomach what can I do?

Snaky
03-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Keep the environment you put him in clean. Only use newspapers as substrate and if there's faeces, clean it immediately. For the rest, create the right conditions (hiding places, temperature, ...). Just make sure nothing get's in the wound.

You can also clean the wound and disinfect it with something that doesn't sting. But if it's from yesterday and it looks ok, I would leave it. Maybe there are other opinions here:)

edit: Of course welcome to the forum!

rwgsnakes
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
first off welcome to the forum :D

and second as snaky said us newspaper as flooring if not that than papertowles, you can put some neosporean (sp?) on the wound, and use filtered water just incase/ a friend had a water snake with a wound on its lower side and when it got into the water it got an infection...or so he thinks

good luck! is it eating?

adamanteus
03-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the forum Grimmy! I agree with Snaky, the most important thing is to keep the wound very clean. Is it a serious cut? Or only minor? If it's only minor you could clean the wound yourself with Pevidine or similar mild anti-bacterial product. Anything more serious it might be best to consult a vet.

As Snaky says, provide plenty of hides, so the snake feels secure, fresh water of course and proper temperature controls. I wouldn't worry about feeding just yet, let the snake settle in and deal with the wound first. Good luck, keep us posted.

Cazador
03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
All good advice. If it's a minor cut, you can go straight for the Neosporin, but if it's deeper/larger or looks infected, you should easily be able to find Betadine (or similar) at most pet stores. First rinse the cut with Betadine. Then rinse with water after a few minutes. Dry, and apply Neosporin. You might want to continue the Betadine (or similar) treatment for about a week if the cut is fairly bad, but continue the Neosporin until there isn't any scab left. A very clean enclosure is important, as mentioned. The scales will show evidence of scarring for at least several shed cycles, and possibly throughout its lifetime. Best wishes with your new snake,

Rick

drache
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Welcome to this forum
I won't add to all the great advice
only to wish your garter speedy recovery

Sid
03-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Grimmy. Good luck with your injuried Garter. Keep us posted on how it comes along.

Sid

grimmy
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
its pretty bad see i have 3 milks and no experience with garters the cut under the belly thx for the advise

grimmy
03-27-2007, 02:55 PM
heres my milks

adamanteus
03-27-2007, 03:06 PM
its pretty bad see i have 3 milks and no experience with garters the cut under the belly thx for the advise

If the cut is bad, you might be better seeing a vet for expert advise. Can you post a picture of the wound?

KITKAT
03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
All good advice. If it's a minor cut, you can go straight for the Neosporin, but if it's deeper/larger or looks infected, you should easily be able to find Betadine (or similar) at most pet stores. First rinse the cut with Betadine. Then rinse with water after a few minutes. Dry, and apply Neosporin. You might want to continue the Betadine (or similar) treatment for about a week if the cut is fairly bad, but continue the Neosporin until there isn't any scab left. A very clean enclosure is important, as mentioned. The scales will show evidence of scarring for at least leveral shed cycles, and possibly throughout its lifetime. Best wishes with your new snake,

Rick

In my area, betadine would be expensive in pet stores, but quite cheap at drug stores.;)

Odie
03-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi peps. Iiiiiiiiiii like this

Odie
03-27-2007, 10:26 PM
My wife found a garter on one of morning walks this last Aug. She (the snake) just had her 3 shed. She has a personality too. will post some pics soon.

Snaky
03-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Welcome aboard Odie :) .

Odie
03-29-2007, 07:03 AM
My wife found a garter on one of morning walks this last Aug. She (the snake) just had her 3 shed. She has a personality too. will post some pics soon. just put new pic in the gallery.

Stefan-A
03-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Welcome aboard Odie :) .
Hey, that's my line! ;)

Welcome aboard, Odie. :)