PDA

View Full Version : Rash of deaths

guidofatherof5
09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
A month and a half ago I had a group of baby radixes born to a rescue mother. The babies seemed smalll at birth and I was concerned as they were not eating like most of the other groups. I had 50% of them eating worms and the others were guppies only. That's a high percentage for any groups born here. I have kept a steady flow of guppies coming and I thought I would be able to switch them over to worms after they had put on some size.
This week 6 of the guppy eaters have died. All of my other guppy eaters are doing fine. It was just the snakes from this group that died. I think this rules out bad guppies. I'm leaning strongly to developmental issues for a cause of death. I was wondering if any of you had any thought on a cause of death. Have I overlooked anything in my observations. They all have the same living arrangments, heat,water, substrate,light,hides,etc. Any help would be great.

snakeman
09-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Sometimes entire broods will die.

guidofatherof5
09-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Sometimes entire broods will die.

You've had entire broods die. Is this after they were established? Do you think it's developmental, genetic or something else?

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I had a big female brought to me this summer. She had a BUNCH of small babies. with cool dot-dash patterns. 16 were born stillborn, most were released upon birth and the 7 or 8 I held onto ALL died. Very soon after being born... it was weird.

GartersRock
09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I already mentioned this but I had a whole litter of eating, strong, healthy appearing bluestripe ribbons die of a blister disease. One day, great! The next one by one drop dead covered in blisters. Conditions where the same as 2 litters of peninsula ribbons born that same week. They are are fine! Males and females where housed separately and they both came down with it at the exact same time. Really NO explanation. Oh. And they where being kept dry too so it wasn't like a scale rot thing.

It sucks... :(:(:( So sorry about yours I know how it feels.

snakeman
09-26-2009, 02:20 AM
I already mentioned this but I had a whole litter of eating, strong, healthy appearing bluestripe ribbons die of a blister disease. One day, great! The next one by one drop dead covered in blisters. Conditions where the same as 2 litters of peninsula ribbons born that same week. They are are fine! Males and females where housed separately and they both came down with it at the exact same time. Really NO explanation. Oh. And they where being kept dry too so it wasn't like a scale rot thing.

It sucks... :(:(:( So sorry about yours I know how it feels.
I had the same thing happen with a brood of easterns.A few actually lived but 40 something died with the blisters.

drache
09-26-2009, 07:09 AM
what a sad thing to experience
life is mysterious and complex

mustang
09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
maybe its a genetic issue...hows the mother?

guidofatherof5
09-26-2009, 03:13 PM
maybe its a genetic issue...hows the mother?

Big and beautiful. Seems to be a perfectly healthy radix.

KITKAT
09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I wonder about several things... calcium deficiency in the mother could set the babies up to die. Uterine infection can also create weak, infected babies... and then if I am reading this right, you did not lose any worm eaters - possible that some of the gups had a disease?:confused:

mustluvwolves
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
uh off subject but how do u post forums? im brand new here and i have a problem that i want to post

guidofatherof5
09-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I wonder about several things... calcium deficiency in the mother could set the babies up to die. Uterine infection can also create weak, infected babies... and then if I am reading this right, you did not lose any worm eaters - possible that some of the gups had a disease?:confused:

As always, great questions and insite. I've kept the babies in the freezer. Not sure what I can do since it's a needle in a haystack, in my opinion. Not to metion the money it would take.
I know that these deaths would have probably occured in the wild and possibly quicker. I still don't feel right that they occured on my watch. That's the part of this whole experience I don't like. I accept the fact that these deaths will always occur but I still don't like it and wish I could help these little scrubs in some way.

KITKAT
10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
uh off subject but how do u post forums? im brand new here and i have a problem that i want to post

1. Click on "Garter Snake Forum" at the top left, just above "user CP".

2. Choose the appropriate area for your thread... in this example, let's say you want to put your new thread in the "Garter Snake Lounge"...

3. Click on "Garter Snake Lounge" and scroll to the bottom of the list of threads.

4. Find and click the button that says, "new thread"