PDA

View Full Version : Feeding / Calcium question.

Charis
09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
This might already have been covered, I did look but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. The garters I'm getting are eating worms & guppies right now, so I'll continue feeding them that for now & later will add pinkies & some other types of fish as well. From what I was reading it sounds like most everyone would suggest using calcium with the nightcrawlers, right? What I wanted to know was how much calcium to use? I was given a free sample of Repti-Calcium with an order I'd placed, is that brand okay to use? Thanks!

Thunder.x.Tiger
09-13-2009, 01:08 PM
All garter snakes eat worms and what not but all fish are in low nutrients so I wouldn't recommend giving fish to your snake unless it is the only thing it will accept to eat.

I don't know much about calcium powder but slugs are very high in calcium and are recommended but I guess the powder is okay too. Pinkies should be fed to them early otherwise there is a very low chance of getting your snake to eat the pinkies when it is an adult because garters need training in order to accept pinkies.

I hope this helps!

guidofatherof5
09-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Pinkies should be fed to them early otherwise there is a very low chance of getting your snake to eat the pinkies when it is an adult because garters need training in order to accept pinkies.

I hope this helps!

I don't know anything about training them. Most of my radixes and T.s.p(Red-sided Garter Snake) take unscented pinkies without hesitation. Any snakes that needed the pinkies scented only needed that done once. Of course, I'm only speaking of these two snakes. All the visiting snakes took unscented pinkies immediately, many being hand fed them moments after being caught.