PDA

View Full Version : New red female

guidofatherof5
09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Last week I was talking to my neighbor. At our property line he has a pile of firewood for camping. His wife is deathly afraid of snake. They don't bother him. I mentioned to him how that wood pile would be a great place for snakes.
Today, he came to my front door holding a bucket. Inside was this beautiful young red female radix. The lighing wasn't very good and these photos don't do her the justice she deserves. She even has a lot of red on her face. The underside of her tail has some red also. I love her awesome golden orange/yellow dorsal. The snakes right outside my door are just as awesome as the ones I drive hundreds of miles to get.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/female_red.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/tail1.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/orange2.jpg

count dewclaw
09-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm NOT jealous, no not at all!:rolleyes: I've got extra enclosures here in case you need to send some out the door.;)

Snakers
09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
is she going to live on the ranch?

ianrambell
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
sweet red!!!

Didymus20X6
09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
He'll need to give her a red-type name. Like Lucy.

drache
09-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Steve - you get an amazing radix at least once a month
this one's another beauty

guidofatherof5
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Steve - you get an amazing radix at least once a month
this one's another beauty

I thought it was more like once a week. That's what it feels like. I'm going to get a few more photos of this one. She's really something and was living 30 feet from my front door.
I've been complaining about the large amount of brown phase radixes in the area but with this one and the fact my neighbor across the street saw a red baby the other day, things are looking up. If I could only get a few albinos to show up.:D

drache
09-04-2009, 05:02 AM
I thought it was more like once a week. hence the "at least" - but yes, I was being conservative in my estimate

gregmonsta
09-04-2009, 06:17 AM
She's lovely :)

Mommy2many
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Another beautiful girl!

guidofatherof5
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Very bad news. This wonder snake passed away. I have no idea why. I found her dead in her inclosure. She looked healthy and was behaving just like a radix. She hadn't eaten for me yet but that wasn't the issue. I'm keeping her in the freezer and will open her out someday soon to see what I can see. I also lost one of my babies to the same unexplained death. With the numbers on the Ranch this year I should feel fortunate to have only lost the few that I have. Failure to thrive hasn't been an issue with any of the hundreds of babies born this Summer.
I feel much of that success was do to the aggressive feeding schedules I've adapted to my babies and the fact I've bought 10 times the amount of guppies. I will forever sing the praises of guppies. Those little flopping, make baby garters go crazy,fish.
I've made the decision to raise my own. That should save me a couple hundred dollars over the course of baby time. I only have about 10 snakes that on a guppy diet. Crazy little scrubs turn their noses up at evey other food offered.

count dewclaw
09-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Oh no! That's terrible news. I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

Hope the guppy raising goes well for you. I have considered raising them, but I don't have a large need for them right now. Keep us posted on how they are doing.

gregmonsta
09-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Sorry for the losses. It's always bad when you don't know what caused the mortality.

GarterGeek
09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry, that's terrible! She was such a beautiful snake. :(