PDA

View Full Version : New monthly competition

adamanteus
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
I mentioned in some other thread (I forget which one) that we might start a new "Member of The Month" competition. It would give those of us with no photographic equipment (or photographic talent) something to participate in, (not that I feel it should exclude photos) . Plus, I think such input as Stonyloam's sunroom thread or GarterGirls new found enthusiasm deserve some recognition. My thought was that such a competition might be based on "Best New Thread" or "Best Contribution to The Forum", basically whatever we've been enjoying that month. I feel that a competition such as this might encourage more input from those members who are inclined more to read than to write. The prize could be changing the member status from "Hi, I'm new Here" or "Second Shed a Success" or whatever, to "Member of the month". Anyone have any thoughts on that?

If such a competition was to be, perhaps the Moderators should be excluded.... Obviously Ricks contribution to the forum would put him in the final every time, so just for us members. Christ...I hope he doesn't shoot me with his bow and arrow now!!

Stefan-A
03-24-2007, 12:54 AM
I definitely support it. It should work the normal way, by people nominating those that they feel are worthy of recognition.

And a cautious yes to banning moderators from the contest. So far we only have one. :D But you're right, Rick can already consider himself the member of every month. So far. ;)

One of the forums I used to visit used to have a "member of the month contest". Back in the good old days when people still might have gotten the joke, the title would often be ironic and awarded to someone for their unintentional comedic contributions. ;)

Cazador
03-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Okay... I like the idea of others nominating the recipient and the title that the recipient MUST live with for a month. I don't know if that would be a pain in the rear to manage. I also support banning moderators. Cheers,

Rick

GarterGirl
03-24-2007, 05:51 AM
I definitely support that idea! I feel kind of sorry for the moderators,
but they would always win if we didn't ban them from the compitition!
Sorry Cazador. Sorry Boots. You're just too nice!

abcat1993
03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I vote yes for this one.

Serpentine99
03-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I vote for it too. It would give the people for that month with helpful knowledge something to show that we are appreciative that they took the time to put their two cents into are growing forum.

Thamnophis
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I think it is a nice idea.

GarterGuy
03-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Sounds ok to me, but I'm thinking it'll be a lot harder to pick that, then it is to pick winners for the pics and quotes each month.
Roy

Snaky
03-25-2007, 02:10 PM
It's oké by me, but it will be dificult to decide every month.... We should almost need to make a list that links to all threads. It might also not be to easy to add everybody in the poll? As last thought: will it first be nominations (maybe with the reason why) and than the vote?

adamanteus
03-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Nominations, then a vote sounds good. It could be pretty complicated to organise. I guess I hadn't thought it through!!

abcat1993
03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
And no nominating yourself of course.

adamanteus
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
And no nominating yourself of course.

Doh!! If I don't, who will?

Gyre
03-27-2007, 07:38 PM
lol I will, James. No worries. :)

This sounds like a great idea.

adamanteus
05-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I just thought I'd dredge this old thread up again, as the idea seemed popular at the time. Of course now, as a moderator, I'm not able to win it!:mad: It might be fun to do, what do you think Jason? If, as someone else suggested earlier in the thread, we start with nominations, then a week of voting, it could be run just like the other competitions. Potential voters could view the posts of candidates just by looking at their posts in their user profile. (Maybe we could post a link to each nominees profile?):)