PDA

View Full Version : Just chill,now!

guidofatherof5
08-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone else have snakes off food? I've got a number of my breeding females(radixes) doing just that. Feels to me like it did last year. Only it's a month or more early. We had the coolest July on record and it's getting down to the high 40's for a second night. Highs are only in the low eighties during the day. Just wondering how everyone else is doing. It seems to be only my large breeding females.

Mommy2many
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Stewie is still eating like a piggy! She downed 2 pinkies and a plate of salmon last night, leaving only 1 piece of salmon for Midnight.

It is warmer here (we finally got summer) and goes down to the high 50's, low 60's at night. Stays warm inside though.

Don't know for sure if Midnight is a girl with baggage (babies) but we'll see.:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I have one snake off food at the moment. They tend to get a bit confused when the days start getting shorter.

ssssnakeluvr
08-30-2009, 11:39 PM
I have a few that are going off feed....been an odd year

justme
08-31-2009, 02:20 AM
You guys are lucky! It's been in the hundred temps here! Big fires everywhere and people evacuating their homes in surrounding cities! I've been busy making my rounds with my animals 2 or 3 times a day to make sure everyone has fresh water or is misted. All my frogs, geckos, tarantulas, and snakes are very active and eating like crazy!

Seere121
08-31-2009, 04:02 AM
One of my garters has been off feed for a week or two now. She'll act like she's interested in the mouse then just slither away, sometimes she even grabs the mouse then drops it and won't have anything to do with it. She's always been a picky eater for me though.

mustang
08-31-2009, 05:47 AM
You guys are lucky! It's been in the hundred temps here! Big fires everywhere and people evacuating their homes in surrounding cities! I've been busy making my rounds with my animals 2 or 3 times a day to make sure everyone has fresh water or is misted. All my frogs, geckos, tarantulas, and snakes are very active and eating like crazy!
california or texas? (u live in) texas just broke a record for consecutive days in the triple digits

gregmonsta
08-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Lol ... J is doing his usual 'I'll fast for a while in the summer just coz I feel like it!!' routine for me.

reptileparadise
08-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Everyone is feeding for me...Even the cyrtopsis!
Although I expect the parietalis and radix to go off any time now (the adults...the young never stop...)

mtolypetsupply
08-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Funny you ask, Steve. My normally piggy Florida Blue female refused her last feeding.

justme
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
california or texas? (u live in) texas just broke a record for consecutive days in the triple digits

I live in California. Luckily, the weather is suppose to cool off midweek. Hope weather gets better for you too!

mustang
09-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I live in California. Luckily, the weather is suppose to cool off midweek. Hope weather gets better for you too!
it just did...97....high humidity much needed rain

guidofatherof5
09-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Two of my non-eaters just started eating again. Speckle(radix zilla) and my XL red-sided(JW) are off their fasts. I started to pull Speckle out from one of the hides and she came around on me with that "Feed Me or be eaten" look. She's like having a small bull snake around the house. She's one big girl.

drache
09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
so far nothing different from regular summer appetite

snickersnake
09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
It's been such a cold summer (Michigan) and mine has been off food for most of it. Last year at this time, was the last time she went off food. I hope it's not the same for this year because she needs to eat soon.

guidofatherof5
09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm down to one big female non-eater(Lucky) Today, Charlott started eating again. She gave me that look and I immediately offered worms. I had to get back to work but she ate 3 large nightcrawler. My daughter Hailee will feel better knowing her snake is back eating again.

Sid
09-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Steve, my largest female Eastern (33-34") has been off feed for six week's now. Still fat and healthy though.

drache
09-08-2009, 03:14 PM
my concinnus are off food as of last week (I think)

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Wow... none of my snakes have lost their appetites here yet! last year my wild caught flame went off feed soon after I caught her, this year, I don't see it happening yet! After being on the loose for a week or so it took a while but now her appetite is better than ever! I am hoping all of my 09's and 08 snakes that are not being put into brumation for breeding remain this hungry! I have a few 08's such as the eastern blacknecks, the erythristic's het albino, my DH granite/albino checks and my nebraksa albino radix that are going to be sleeping the winter away and making babies in the spring! (I hope...)

guidofatherof5
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Our girl lucky just started eating again last night. I offer a pinky and she took it. I yelled for Gabby, since Lucky is hers. I told her to grab some pinkies and feed that girl. Lucky was so excited about eating she grabbed Gabby by the finger. I had to peel the girl off. After that she refused to eat anymore. Gabby wasn't upset, but happy about her girl eating again.
I have a red radix named "Red" she's been off food for a few weeks but this is normal for her. She'll eat like a pig for months and then stop for 1 or 2.

guidofatherof5
10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Tonight, Lucky and Red went into the fridge. I don't like doing it but it's what they want. In many aspects of their lives they do know what's best.
The fridge is at 42 degrees. In a small container they get a soft cloth and a water dish. Lucky went in at 133 grams and Red at 80 grams. They will get weight checks every 2 weeks, unless I see a big drop. Then it's once a week. I will watch the weights closely. I used 20% weight loss as a signal it's time to pull them out.
I use 20% on snakes that have been on the Ranch for at least a year. For newcomers I use 15% loss. The difference is my regulars carry more body weight and I feel can afford to lose more. None of my numbers are scientific. I just try to judge visual body conditions when they come out and the conditions and weight of snake that I catch in the Spring.
My daughter Gabby was in tears as she put Lucky in the container. She'll have a hard time sleeping tonight and for a few weeks to come.
Have a good sleep girls.

Mike Spencer
10-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I had a couple of my adult concinnus refuse today. All of my sub adults are still eating, same with my infernalis. My baby pugets are still eating like crazy too. My adult atratus isn't taking anything though.

wadih
10-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Before I read this article I was sitting wondering why my females are not eating. It was a surprise to read it from you. Although the weather did not change much here and the day still long enough, two adult females have stopped eating for 15 days till now. I am not sure why but I am still trying.... Hope to get luck soon :)