PDA

View Full Version : frog eggs?

ClosedCasket88
03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
i was wondering if a garter would eat frog eggs? like giant bull frog eggs

Cazador
03-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Don't know, but I bet they would. However, they're very rich in lipids (fats), so I'd offer them sparingly. Let us know how it turns out if you give it a try, okay?

Rick

GarterGirl
03-23-2007, 04:40 AM
I don't know, but I agree with Cazador!

ClosedCasket88
03-23-2007, 08:51 AM
sorry, Wood frog eggs would be the source of food in this question, sorry folks. there almost just as big and simalar lookin but i just had to verify that

GarterGuy
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Hmmmm....don't know....never heard of garters doing that? I know there are lots of other snakes (mostly arboreal tropical snakes) that eat frog eggs. I think most of them prefer the end result of the eggs, since garters tend to be more sight oriented and a wiggling tadpole is more appealing then a lump of "jelly".
Roy

abcat1993
03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Maybe it's like caviar to them? Or you could use it as jelly and spread it on mice or other food.

Snaky
03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I once heard somebody saying he scented with tadpoles and that that worked. I've never done this myself though. Also, it would be an interesting fact to know, but I don't think it has any value to add to the kinds of food to give to a garter.

adamanteus
03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
I've had many Garters in the past that take tadpoles. Never frogspawn though. I've never tried tadpoles for scenting other food items. Interesting idea though....maybe with a real problem feeder.

ClosedCasket88
03-23-2007, 07:32 PM
well i have your typical plastic container you would find a baby coulubrid in at a show filled with about a LB of eggs. most infertile some fertile, i can tell just by looking at them .
i threw the containter in my freeder box with all my garter together just to see what wouldhappend (lid off ofcourse) and they went nuts over it first lookng at it as a water bowl but smelling frog and going nuts trying to chew through it , most were unsuccsessfull there too jelloed together for them to get a meal out of it . most of them went nuts and some even were biting each other cuz they had the slime on them and there were soo frustrated at not getting nothing outa it , it remind me when i get beef jerky thats like too dehydrated and u cant even bite peice of or get any outa it .
for the conclusion they all went nuts for it , they only got a mouthful or two outa there 30 minute ordeal butthey liked it and i think i found a new way of scenting pinkies =)
im gonan freeze some of the eggs and save em for scenting in the future , ill let yous know how it works .try it folks

Cazador
03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Great idea, Ryan. It sounds like you could feed them a bike tire if you put a few of those eggs on it first :D.

abcat1993
03-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Maybe I'll use that for helping bait snakes in the summer when the toads lay all their 5 bazillion eggs in my pond.