PDA

View Full Version : Black snake ?

bigstan03
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I was at work and I noitced a lil snake stuck in a spider web , so I got it out of the web and it was a black snake with a yellow ring around it's head can somebody tell me what it is and if it is poisionus at all ? I am thinking about keeping it I will take a pic of it . Thanx

Stan

Stefan-A
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Ringneck, Diadophis punctatus. Completely harmless, but apparently difficult to keep alive.

Didymus20X6
08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I was at work and I noitced a lil snake stuck in a spider web , so I got it out of the web and it was a black snake with a yellow ring around it's head can somebody tell me what it is and if it is poisionus at all ? I am thinking about keeping it I will take a pic of it . Thanx

Stan
A quick lesson on how to identify venomous snakes in the USA.

1. Does it have red, yellow, and black bands all up and down its body? If so, are the red bands touching any of the yellow bands? If so, then it is likely a coral snake, an elapid (relative of the cobra). Very dangerous.

2. Is the head a distinct triangular or heart shape, with vertically slotted pupils? If so, it is likely a crotalid (pit viper).

a. Does it have rattles on its tail? (I don't think I need to explain further).

b. Is the inside of its mouth a bright white color? If so, water moccasin (agkistrodon piscivorus).

c. Is its head a coppery reddish orange color? If so, copperhead moccasin (agkistrodon contortrix).

These are the dangerous ones. There is evidence that some American colubrids - including some hognoses and garters - do in fact have venom, but that it is not powerful enough to harm humans. So no real need to worry about them.

Stefan-A
08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Indeed. And if you're ever unsure about a snake, treat it as if it were venomous.

Didymus20X6
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Very yes.

As a friend of mine - a former Army Ranger - once said concerning snakes: "I'm not risking my life for some nursery rhyme. If I see a snake that even looks like it might be poisonous, I'm staying away."

TheSnakeGuy1
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Common Ringneck snake or Diadophis Punctatus.
You probably found the northern ringneck snake or Diadophis Punctatus eswardsii.
-Alex

bigstan03
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
What do you usually feed a snake like this ? Thanx for everybody's help on this . It might not live long but my 2yr thinks its cool so I want to try to keep it for a while if I can .

guidofatherof5
08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Nice save. Good job.

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
ringneck snakes often favor other snakes as a prey item. "it might not live long but my 2 year old likes it" is not a good reason to keep the snake and it also shows total disregard and lack of respect for that creature's life., so please, don't do it! Ringnecks are incredibly difficult to keep especially out of the wild. they are very, very shy, they are picky eaters and they just don't make good captives. If you don't have experience keeping snakes, it's just plain a bad idea to try keeping a ringneck, and it is in the best interest of the snake to be released. a cornsnake makes a great first snake. They are easy to maintain, easy to feed, colorful, handleable, and they grow to a size that is actually handleable, and they cope with handling well. Sure, you will have to shell out some $$ for the snake and supplies, but it is definitely worth it. A ringneck snake does not really make a great pet snake period.

bigstan03
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
ringneck snakes often favor other snakes as a prey item. "it might not live long but my 2 year old likes it" is not a good reason to keep the snake and it also shows total disregard and lack of respect for that creature's life., so please, don't do it! Ringnecks are incredibly difficult to keep especially out of the wild. they are very, very shy, they are picky eaters and they just don't make good captives. If you don't have experience keeping snakes, it's just plain a bad idea to try keeping a ringneck, and it is in the best interest of the snake to be released. a cornsnake makes a great first snake. They are easy to maintain, easy to feed, colorful, handleable, and they grow to a size that is actually handleable, and they cope with handling well. Sure, you will have to shell out some $$ for the snake and supplies, but it is definitely worth it. A ringneck snake does not really make a great pet snake period.

I didn't mean it in that way , like I was going to kill the damn snake get your panies out your *** . I was just asking a few ? And no I am not leting it go . A friend of mine that is a snake lover came over and is going to help me out so go piss on somebody else thread will yea !!! Thanx for the help from everybody else .

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I think you have taken my post COMPLETELY out of context. I am here to help you, as well as the snake. I tell it like it is, and don't hold anything back. I didn't come in here all rude and finger pointing like, I am merely stating what is a known fact, ringnecked snakes do not make good pets, they have a hard time adjusting to captivity and when they are so small like that they can starve very quickly if they won't eat. You came here asking for help from the snake experts, I happen to be one of those, I know my stuff and I take time out of my day to answer questions when they are asked and provide additional advice, feedback and insight when it is needed. I am not here to "piss on other people's threads". If you thought that's what I was doing, you are sorely mistaken and you really need to lighten up. No matter how upset you get with me, it won't change the fact that what I said about ringnecked snakes having a MUCH higher chance of survival if left where they are found being true. And yes, by saying "it might not live very long but my 2 year old is intrigued by it" that will rub a lot of people the wrong way. I meet people every day in my line of work who don't care about how long the goldfish or baby turtle that they just stuffed in a bowl to make their child happy lives and will keep on replacing it while the kid is at school without them knowing it died without any regards to what it actually needs. and boy are the unhappy with me when I tell them what it really needs. I just wish more people put their primary focus on what's best for the animal's needs as opposed to what they themselves want. I am not claiming it to be impossible, but the odds that this snake will survive under the care of a newcomer to the snake world are HIGHLY stacked against you. You can't change the fact that this snake is going to be difficult to care for, but you can change your perspective on it. And I sincerely hope for the snake's sake that your snake loving friend is well equipped to aid you in proper husbandry techniques for this species.

Hornets23
08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Shannon, I always like that you're primary concern is the well-being of the snake. Unfortunately that is not the case with everyone but I wish everyone was as conscientious as you.

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Shannon, I always like that you're primary concern is the well-being of the snake. Unfortunately that is not the case with everyone but I wish everyone was as conscientious as you.

thank you :)

I am glad you understand :D

Corinne33
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Agreed, and if youre interested in a corn check your local craigslist. I'm picking up a snow corn, with tank, heating pag, and tank decorations for $60 this weekend

Didymus20X6
08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I didn't mean it in that way , like I was going to kill the damn snake get your panies out your *** . I was just asking a few ? And no I am not leting it go . A friend of mine that is a snake lover came over and is going to help me out so go piss on somebody else thread will yea !!! Thanx for the help from everybody else .
That was unnecessarily rude on your part, BigStan. You asked for advice, and Shannon - a highly experienced snake expert - gave you advice. Don't ask questions if you don't want the answer. Learn some manners.

As for the subject at hand, you've been warned by more than one person on this forum that these animals do not adjust well to captivity. You're basically sentencing the animal to die by deciding to keep it. Do yourself, your kid, and the snake a favor: let it go, and get yourself a corn instead.

Stefan-A
08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Alright, everybody calm down.

I understand your reaction, Stan, Shannon's post was easy to mistake for an insult. But take the advice.

justme
08-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Stan,

Ringnecks are beautiful snakes! You don't see them offered too often in the pet trade due to their fossorial nature and high mortality rate when kept in captivity. Some time ago, I picked up a wild caught ringneck from a local bird/reptile store (because I knew it would ultimately die there). The snake refused worms, fish, etc. so I handed him over to my snake-loving boyfriend who was able to supply the snake with a steady diet of frogs. The snake has remained healthy but we were unable to get him to switch over to a more varied diet, even with scenting. ;-(

I have animals in tanks that I keep in my room, go up and talk to, admire them, take them out, etc... But I find that ringnecks are the kind of animals that you tip toe around, that you keep in a room with low traffic and even better "no traffic" because any sort of stress, one wrong look (hehe)..., may cause them to not eat.

There are some interesting reads online regarding ringnecks...., here's a few.

Ringneck Snakes: Care and Feeding (http://home.pcisys.net/~dlblanc/articles/ringneck.php)
Ringneck Diary: Our attempt to keep ringneck snakes in captivity • mcwetboy.com (http://www.mcwetboy.com/reptiles/ringneck.php)
KingPin Reptiles | Mike Fedzen (http://www.kingpinreptiles.com/smallersnakes.htm)