PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Friend - a Garter Snake, that is

AliciaG13
03-20-2007, 03:48 PM
I recently lost my Garter Snake (Plains which I'd found in my mostly unheated basement as a baby over 2 years ago). I mean that literally. One minute, he was in the aquarium, the next he was gone. After a thorough search of the aquarium and its environs, I realized that he may have gotten outside (not such a bad thing since he's a native species to the area.) So now I'm looking for another snake, preferably a Garter, to take up residence in Plisken's old home. (Yes, my snake was named Plisken after Kurt Russell's character in "Escape from New York.") As odd as it seems, I miss Plisken a lot and I'm hoping to find a young snake that will bond with me like Plisken did.

Any ideas? I'm in the southeast Nebraska area. I don't want to do a wild capture unless it's for the purpose of rehabbing an injured/ill critter (like with Plisken.) Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

ssssnakeluvr
03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Scott Felzer will have plenty of garter babies this year.... Scott Felzer's Garter Snakes, specializing in aberrant garters (http://www.albinogartersnake.com) I should have some plains garter babies, my albino is gravid and possibly my melanistic eastern.

Cazador
03-20-2007, 10:36 PM
As ssssnakeluvr suggested, Scott Felzer has a great reputation that is well deserved, but here's a link to another thread with even more options for you:

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/sale-trade-adoption-wanted/272-post-breeders.html

Tori
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
I have several eastern subadults that were born last june here in my home. They are healthy, great eaters, and used to being handled. I would be glad to find one a 'forever' home with someone experienced with garters. All I would ask is that you pay for shipping. I raised them for the joy of it, not for money. Just let me know if you are interested.

Tori

GarterGuy
03-21-2007, 11:03 PM
With warmer weather coming, you should start to see garters showing up at local reptile shows. Also there are a number of us here who are hopefully going to be breeding our little darlings, so you might want to wait and see what happens.:D Your'e probably going to be waiting 'til May or June to find any captive bred babies from this year just yet though.
Roy

AliciaG13
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
I would be interested! I'm not interested in breeding and I'm not really interested other snake species so that would be great. Email me privately and we can work this out - a underline graybill at yahoo dot com.

Tori
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I sent you an email, did you receive it?

Tori

AliciaG13
03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
No, I didn't get anything. Try my other email (sometimes Yahoo puts stuff in my spam filter and I don't always catch it before I delete.) Aliciag13 at gmail dot com.

Thanks!