PDA

View Full Version : Cooking the fish?

Didymus20X6
08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I noticed that the care sheet says that, if you heat thiaminase-rich fish to 80C for five minutes, that will kill the thiaminase.

However, 80C for five minutes will basically cook the fish to well-done. (in fact, 70C is a typical internal temperature for cooking fish of most types).

So here's my question: is the care sheet basically recommending that we feed cooked fish to our snakes?

Stefan-A
08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
The instruction merely states what it takes to destroy thiaminase. It definitely shouldn't be harmful to the snake to eat cooked fish.

guidofatherof5
08-15-2009, 01:11 PM
The instruction merely states what it takes to destroy thiaminase. It definitely shouldn't be harmful to the snake to eat cooked fish.

They may want some tarter sauce with it though:D

ssssnakeluvr
08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
don't tell mine about that...they will want iit on their fish too! :cool:

Stefan-A
08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
They may want some tarter sauce with it though:D
Oh, barnacles...

gregmonsta
08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
My first two ribbon snakes were kept purely on a diet of cod and haddock that had been heat-treated for about 10mins. I still supplemented vitamins regardless (the heating process destroying quite a lot of goodness from the fish). It also gets a bit messy. The fish will flake and wont cut into strips.

ConcinusMan
12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I had heard the same thing. Granted, this was years ago when I first got my last concinnus pair. UV emitting bulbs/full spectrum lighting were a new concept and were just catching on. Nobody mentioned goldfish as being a "bad" fish, and so my concinnus were fed live goldfish for much of their lives, but they got a variety of foods including whole pacific tree frogs, and larvae collected from drying pools, along with wild fish, night crawlers and occasionally got a dusting of vitamins including calcium, vitamin D and thiamine.

But anyway, there was a few situations where I was desperate for something to feed them, and resorted to cooking pieces of "bad" fish for my snakes. They didn't seem to mind, and gobbled it down in spite of being cooked. I'd say it's not the best choice of food, but in the absence of something better, I used it. I don't think it matters if it's cooked, but yeah, you can use fish containing that bad enzyme, and cooking it destroys the enzyme, and the snakes will eat it.