PDA

View Full Version : record keeping

drache
03-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm wondering what kind of record keeping system those of you with several animal use.
I've been using spiral bound index cards and basically have a thread per tank - two tanks per booklet (beginning at both ends).
It works pretty well for the most part, except when I get busy.
There's gotta be something better, though.
I'm envisioning a chart that I can just check off, or even a program for my Palm Pilot.
I seem to remember seeing some kind of electronic record keeping thingy on some aquarium site - have any of you ever used anything like that and how well does it work?

Boots
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Funny you should ask about record keeping today. I was just looking over a program called Metzcal which is designed for herps. You can find their page at Metzcal Herp Software (http://www.metzcal.com/) , but since I have only started looking at it I can not really tell you how well it works. Has anyone used Metzcal or any other software out there?

Jason

GarterGuy
03-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Nope, still just a spiral note pad and pen. Tried setting something up in Excel, but just became too much a pain in the backside.

drache
03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I started looking at that Metzcal site and then I realized that I want something more portable.
It needs to be either a check sheet kind of thing; or a single pad/notebook or a Palm program, so that I can take it with me.

The snakes are actually much less of a issue than the lizards, who need a lot of stuff and some of it every day. But I do like to record when they shed and I kept putting it off last time, because I was so busy and I wrote about it in some thread here - so I could always retrieve that info, etc . . . Of course by now I hardly even remember what thread that was.

The animals are fine of course. The Gerbils jump up and down when they want something. Everybody else is one some daily, weekly, or bi-weekly schedule. This schedule sort of jig-sawed in with my work schedule.

It all works fine.
However, I am not content.
Jeff says it's my three planets in virgo.
I think it may have more to do with having grown up in Germany, with an engineer as a father. There is a correct way of doing things and in the case of animal husbandry, record keeping is essential.

In fact - I should go find that thread and at least catch up with system I've got.

abcat1993
03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, I only have 4 animals to take care of (except my dog) so I use the calendar on my wall. Probably not that great, and I forget to write down feedings sometimes, but it works better than nothing.

PS: Boots (Jason) is finally back. Yay

GarterGirl
03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
There's got to be something better than a spiral notepad and pen! There are always spiral notepads and pens lying EVERYWHERE in our house! I'm serious!

Stefan-A
03-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Only two animals, so I don't keep records anymore. Used Word (and Writer when I used OpenOffice) when I did. I guess Access (Base in OpenOffice) might have been better for that purpose.

What kind of information do you usually write down?

drache
03-17-2007, 04:47 AM
I write down when I feed them, how much they eat, when they shed, their vet visits, when I do a total tank breakdown.
For the lizards it's more complex because they get more food variety, so they get something different every day.

Mikhaila is right - those little spiral bound index card pads are everywhere.
Perhaps I need to have more of a log-book kind of format . . .

Valley Pets
03-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I keep feed/shed records also breeding and laying records...I also record DOB, and if i didn't breed the snake where I got it from..I don't think I'd beable to keep track of everything if I didn't keep records!
Ryan

Thamnophis
03-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I write things on a paper. Every snake has it own paper.
After a while, when I have time, I put it in the computer.
Here every snake has a word-document.
Works allright for me.

Going to take a look at the Metzcal-program.

KITKAT
03-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I only have two garters right now, and two Bearded Dragons, plus an African House Snake.

I write feeding dates on the side of the aquarium, using a dry erase pen. I just remember sheds, etc.:o

drache
03-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I like the dry erase pen.
If I want to satisfy my yearnings for permanent records, I can at least use the dry erase to take a quick note on the tank, until I get around to it.
Thanks

ssssnakeluvr
03-17-2007, 08:59 PM
I have the Degei Reptile husbandry program. You can keep track of everything from what they eat to every defecation....Good program, cost $20 I think...got it a while ago. You can even make cage cards with the snakes pics on it and their info.

drache
03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
That sounds like it does what I need and more.
I googled it and the only thing that came up was a link to reptilisupply.com, but after scouring their site, I'm convinced they must not carry it. I may just need to call them.
Where did you get it?
Thanks for the tip.

Sid
03-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Rhea,

I found the site by searching google using "degei husbandry".

Sid

drache
03-18-2007, 05:33 PM
got it
thanks

adamanteus
03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I always use the "flip type" index cards, of the type you might use for addresses. They come in a handy plastic box, which keeps them separate from other stuff (shopping lists, things to do, hit lists etc). There's plenty of room to write everything you need to know, and you can easily add new pages and remove old ones for filing away elsewhere. Works for me.

drache
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I always use the "flip type" index cards, of the type you might use for addresses. They come in a handy plastic box, which keeps them separate from other stuff (shopping lists, things to do, hit lists etc). There's plenty of room to write everything you need to know, and you can easily add new pages and remove old ones for filing away elsewhere. Works for me.

It's what I use too - and it's totally sufficient.
I was hoping for some magic check list . . .

Thamnophis
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
The Metzcal-program is not my thing. Far to complicated! I stic to my word-documents.