PDA

View Full Version : Baby radix stopped eating

anamar
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi! I´m new here and I have had a new radix baby for three weeks now. At first she eat well every other day but during last week - nothing!!! What might be wrong and what should I do? Let her be alone? She was very active at first but now she is hiding and beeing fearful. She is three months old now... how long can she be without eating? I´m very worried :confused:
Temperature in the box is fine. She has swimming place and hiding places.
Might it be the becoming ecdysis? How long does it take?

Stefan-A
07-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

It is probably ecdysis, as you said. The whole process takes about a week to complete. First the colours start getting dull, then the eyes turn blue for a few days and then they clear up for another two or three days and then they shed. If you want to make it easier you can mist the enclosure or provide a humid hide.

Young snakes can be without food for a few weeks, but if it doesn't shed, it's something else.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum.
What were you feeding? Have your tried something else? My baby radixes don't stop eating for anything but that's not to say she couldn't by going into blue phase. It could last a week. Sometimes more sometimes less. 1-3 days after the blue eyes are back to normal you can expect a shed. Has she shed before?
A photo would be great. I love seeing radixes.

anamar
07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I just woke her up and she seems quite active. Her colour is the same as it has been and her eyes are brown. I didn´t see any blue colour. I offered her vendace but she just smelled them and went away. So what to do? Waite

Odie
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi, from Oregon, anamar :)

anamar
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
She shed today... what a cute baby she is. Soon I´m gonna offer her fish... once again. Hope she´ll be hungry after shedding. Photo will be here soon after I learn how to do it :/

Stefan-A
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
That's good news. :)

DrKate
07-30-2009, 01:00 PM
She shed today...
They're tricky that way. ;) Babies seem to go through the shed process really quickly. I've noticed that my babies only have "blue" eye scales for 24 hours, maybe less. So if it they're in their hide boxes and I don't get a good look at their faces, they may go right through the blue phase and I'll never even see it. So don't feel bad about the "surprise" shed - they just like to mess with your head whenever possible!

anamar
08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Everything is fine now. Thanks everybody for good advice! :) Baby eats every other day and she is very active. She even limbed high up to the branch and swallowed her big piece of fish there. It was funny to watch her gragging her dinner so high. Does anyone´s snakes do the same?

What are your opinions about the uvb light? Is it necessary if the snake is having reguralry vitamin which contains D3?

Stefan-A
08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
That's good to hear. :)

Mommy2many
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I watched my ribbon snake take a fish, drag it across the side of the tank to get the moss off of it and then reposition it to swallow it whole. I'm not sure if he got the fish out of the water by himself or if the fish flipped out on its own. Either way, fish gone, snake full:D

guidofatherof5
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
That's great news.:)

mustang
08-04-2009, 07:58 AM
the hungry hungry ribbons thee hungry hungry ribbons

anamar
08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I watched my ribbon snake take a fish, drag it across the side of the tank to get the moss off of it and then reposition it to swallow it whole. I'm not sure if he got the fish out of the water by himself or if the fish flipped out on its own. Either way, fish gone, snake full:D

"Full snake, happy snake!" :p

Mommy2many
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I just love full, happy snakes!