PDA

View Full Version : Sealant

A Boyd
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
What the best sealant to use inside my vivarium then?

DrKate
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
My local herp store sells stuff specifically labeled as aquarium sealant. But when I went to buy it, one of the guys there said "just go to the hardware store and buy the silicone glue or silicone sealant, it's the same stuff and way cheaper."

It didn't actually work terribly well for sticking two pieces of PVC together at an angle, which is what I wanted it for, but since I never went back and bought the "real" sealant I can't say whether that would have been any different. Probably I just tried to use it for something I shouldn't have. ;)

Edit: By way of more useful information, silicone is supposed to be essentially inert once it's cured, so that's what you want. Anything labeled "aquarium sealant" is going to be silicone, though.

gregmonsta
07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Any silicone that doesn't advertise itself as being mould-resistant should do the job. Aquarium sealant will always be the safest bet ;) - Aquarium Silicone - SILICONES AND SEALANTS - AB Sealants Ltd (http://www.absealants.co.uk/product_13-2-8_Aquarium-Silicone.htm)