PDA

View Full Version : Worm Snake / Dekayi ?

kimcoltonterry
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Today my son aquired what we think is a worm snake. Whats the difference in a worm snake and the Dekayi? I did take to a small reputable pet store and the confirmed what we read that it can be fed earth worms in small pieces and pinhead crickets (with the jumping legs removed) but they did tell us what it was. It looks just like the snake pictured here: eastern worm snake (http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern__worm_snake.htm) and nothing like the pictures of the Dekayi that I have seen.
Any ideas? ANY information would be greatly appreciated!!:)

guidofatherof5
07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. Very interesting little snake.

Stefan-A
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Whats the difference in a worm snake and the Dekayi?
They are not closely related, they don't resemble each other very much and they live very different lifestyles.

Mommy2many
07-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the forum!

mustang
07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
welcome....reminds me of my little snake i had a "flat head"

tspuckler
08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
According to Snakes of the United States and Canada: Keeping Them Healthy in Captivity by John Rossi, Worm Snakes are difficult to maintain and rate a "4" on the a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the most difficult).

Worm Snakes are rarely observed eating in captivity because they are extraordinarily shy and normally eat their food under surface cover. It is recommended that these snakes have both a thermal and a moisture gradient in captivity. The preferred food of this snake is earthworms (though they do eat slugs). I have never heard of one eating crickets.

I've found Eastern Worm Snakes inthe Carolinas, but in April I found my first Midwest Worm Snake under a rock near a lake in Ohio (pic below).

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/tspuckler/midworm.jpg

PitGirl89
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
wow, what beautiful snakes, i've never heard of them until now.

I'm also going to check out that book tspuckler, it sounds interesting.

drache
08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
lovely snake, but it may be difficult to keep

I'm also going to check out that book tspuckler, it sounds interesting.
it's a really good book, and generally it's possible to get a used copy for under a hundred bucks