PDA

View Full Version : Snakes in a 20 gallon long

Brunok9
07-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I saw another keelback at Petco, and because my first one has been such a success I'm consiidering getting another one, but I'm not sure how good of an idea this is. I have heard, from people who have keelbacks, that they are "social" like some garters. I want to know if anyone agrees or disagrees with this. Also, I has wondering if two snakes can even fit in a 20 gallon long together, or if space would be too cramped + increase the stress for my keelback now. I also have a 50 gallon, but that is probably never going to be used right now until I figure out if I' make it into military school or staying in Michigan. If I did stay, I would probably put it together- I just need to know if they will coexist with eachother first though..
Hopefully this made some sense..

Didymus20X6
07-25-2009, 10:59 AM
If military school is an issue, shouldn't you consider waiting until you find out before you acquire the other snake? Will you even be able to keep the snake if you make it in?

guidofatherof5
07-25-2009, 11:11 AM
From what I've read on the forum Keelbacks are problematic due to the heavy parasite load and poor care they recieved from the time they were caught. A Vet. visit is impairative if you purchase one. Even with that, many people have lost them anyway.

Find a local Garter snake breeder and purchase one. You won't be starting out in the whole that way. This was just my opinion.
Best of luck.:)

gregmonsta
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't risk the aforementioned parasite load ... I would not entertain putting it in with other snakes until a minimum 6 month quarantine, fecal smears and treatment had been concluded.

Brunok9
07-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I have people willing to take care of my snake if I make it in until I come home, so that isn't as big of an issue..what is a big issue though is the parasites. I didn't even consider that the new snake might have those. If I got lucky with the snake I have now, I do not really want to push my luck by getting another one, which may cause me to lose both in the long run..

GradStudentLeper
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
What species of Keelback are we talking here? Give me an image, because you might actually be dealing with a snake that can kill you.

Zephyr
07-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Xenocrophis vittatus (sp?)

GradStudentLeper
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Ok. Those little guys, while mildly venomous are harmless to you. Another genus of asiatic natricines also called Keelbacks (Rhabdophis) can and will kill you...