PDA

View Full Version : snake news from my house

drache
03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi everybody

I've been so busy with the house thing that I didn't tell you all that I got a new snake
It's a female T.s. similis
After much debate, she was named "indigo" - I favoured "azul".

The other great news is that I got both of the little ones to take scented pinkie. Now I just have to switch the Ribbon snake and I'll be off the fish hook for a while

Thamnophis
03-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Things are working well for you, Rhea! Good thing.

Snaky
03-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Nice additions. And it's always easy if they accept pinkies:)

Elliot
03-14-2007, 08:26 AM
I might be able to help get the ribbon snake to eat pinkies if you have trouble. BTDT

GarterGuy
03-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey congrats on getting the little ones to take pinks and on the new addition. I have to agree though.....azul would have been a cooler name.:cool:

drache
03-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Mikhaila and I have different ideas about names sometimes
I'm just happy we didn't end up with Emily

Cazador
03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm in Mikhaila's corner... definitely like Indigo better :). It reminds me of the guy from The Princess Bride ;).

drache
03-15-2007, 06:37 AM
I might be able to help get the ribbon snake to eat pinkies if you have trouble. BTDT

So far I haven't tried. The little garters were my priority Now the ribbons is next. If I have trouble, I'll let you know.
Thanks

drache
03-15-2007, 06:46 AM
I'm in Mikhaila's corner... definitely like Indigo better :). It reminds me of the guy from The Princess Bride ;).

Was he the big guy? It's been a while.
I like indigo too.
I'll get to use Azul on the next blue snake I get (I'd like to get het a mate).

mikm
03-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Congrats Rhea !! The similis are very nice ... What's her tempermant like ?? The females I had were mild but the males ... wow ... talk about 'fiesty', lol ..

best of luck ...
marian

suzoo
03-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Was he the big guy? It's been a while.
I like indigo too.
I'll get to use Azul on the next blue snake I get (I'd like to get het a mate).

Indigo was the Fencing Master looking for the 6 fingered man. (You killed my father, prepare to die!) Also had a drinking problem:eek:

drache
03-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Inigo Montoya
I love that guy - Mandy Patinkin
he also played Huxley in Elmo in Grouchland - also a great character

drache
03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Congrats Rhea !! The similis are very nice ... What's her tempermant like ?? The females I had were mild but the males ... wow ... talk about 'fiesty', lol ..

best of luck ...
marian

Her temperament is a lot like Whizzie's, who got that names because she would whizz (shoot actually) off one's hand at random times.
Today was the first time I took Indigo out and she mellows okay, after a bit of handling.
She' very beautiful - her lateral stripes bright turquoise and he dorsal stripe olive coloured. I hope I get some pictures soon. She's not mellow enough to just set her down without enclosure. I'll have to set something up.

Cazador
03-15-2007, 04:06 PM
SUE... You took my line :D:D:D. I was dying to say,
"Hello. My name is Indigo Montoya.
You killed my father, you (#) of a (*^).
Prepare to die."

Q: What's the meaning of life?
A: To blythe :D

Great movie. The big guy's name was Fezzywig (sp?).

ssssnakeluvr
03-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Fezzig.....one of my favorite movies!!!!!!

GarterGirl
03-16-2007, 05:07 AM
But I wanted to say ''Hello. I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!'' I love that movie.

ssssnakeluvr
03-17-2007, 09:37 PM
As you wish!!!! And watch out for the ROUS's!!!!! :eek: :D

Cazador
03-17-2007, 10:58 PM
It's funny how far we've come from the topic of "snake news from my house." It's practically in...cun...thievable!!! :rolleyes:

drache
03-18-2007, 04:51 PM
definitely far from snake news - not so far from my house

In terms of snake news:

I am contemplating Xenogrophis vittatus, but then I need to revise my entire wish list (I ought to anyway).

This weeks project:
getting the ribbon snake to take a pinkie.

Cazador
03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi Rhea,
I noticed them on sale at Kingsnake, below, for $25 each or 5 for $115. They've been on sale for quite a while and have come down from $35 each.
Rick

kingsnake.com Classifieds (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=6&de=468359)

P.S. I haven't taken a serious look into it, but I'm certain that most keelbacks are venomous, and I'm almost postitive that Xenochrophis vittatus (being a keelback) also has a venom. It may be as mild as the venom from garter snakes... I don't know, but it's worth checking before buying. Try: Venomdoc Forums :: Index (http://www.venomdoc.com/forums/)

drache
03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
P.S. I haven't taken a serious look into it, but I'm certain that most keelbacks
are venomous, and I'm almost postitive that Xenochrophis vittatus (being a keelback) also has a venom. It may be as mild as the venom from garter snakes... I don't know, but it's worth checking before buying. Try: Venomdoc Forums :: Index (http://www.venomdoc.com/forums/)[/quote]

Thanks Rick
Kuno turned me on to a German site that has a little bit of info on them.
Their glands are like the ones of Garters - not connected to a delivery system - and the toxin apparently not very strong.
The Xenogrophis are generally aggressive, but the vittatus subspecies is not.
They need more water than garters, since they like hanging out in it.
There is a rumour that they may be gotten to take pinkies.
Thanks for the venomdoc site - that looks like a cool resource and I'll look more later.

Btw - my ribbon took his first scented pinkie yesterday without any problem.
So happy to be rid of feeder fish for a while . . .