PDA

View Full Version : howdy

stonyloam
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
First sunny warm day in a long time here in Upstate NY, and the grater snakes are becoming active. Had five young ones (eastern) in my sunroom this morning. There is a tiny hole between the block wall and the insulation and they come in (and go out) from underneath the thermal slab. We have a few dozen that winter den under there every year. It seems to be a perfect place. Fond a "blue" one last year, I'll try to post a picture.

adamanteus
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi stonyloam, and welcome to the forum. It's great here! I have to say...I'm so jealous that you have Garters coming right into your home!!!

Gijs & Sabine
03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome to this nice forum, Stonyloam.
I have to admit, I'm jealous too:rolleyes: I guess everyone from overseas is:D

Sid
03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to photos when you get the time.

Sid

drache
03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Welcome here, stonyloam
I'm jealous too
Good meeting you

adamanteus
03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Stonyloam,

Can you photgraph the snakes in your sunroom?

Thamnophis
03-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Welcome here, Stonyloam.
Yeah, show us some outdoor pics :)

Cazador
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, Terry. It'll be great to see that blue snake. I like how morphs of wild snakes are often very unusual and spectacular. Can't wait to see it,

Rick

abcat1993
03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Welcome to this nice forum, Stonyloam.
I have to admit, I'm jealous too:rolleyes: I guess everyone from overseas is:D
Yeah, but you get the tetrateania :p

stonyloam
03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks everyone! So far I have managed to get as far as posting the picture of the blue garter in the gallery, I am working on getting it into a thread. By the way all of you seem to be much more enthusiastic about the prospect of snakes in the house than my wife is.

Stefan-A
03-13-2007, 11:39 PM
:D Welcome aboard.

Cazador
03-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Terry,

There's not very much left to do. Just click "Control + N" together to bring up a second window. Then click on the "Gallery" tab in the top right corner of any window. Pull up your picture in the gallery, and click the "Copy to Clipboard" button about 2" below your picture. Now go back to your first window; right click, and select "Paste" into your new post. It will show you a bunch of text that looks something like I've pasted below until you actually submit your new post. Then the picture will appear... not the link, as I've shown below. Cheers,

Rick

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/Seefood.jpg (http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/Seefood.jpg)

P.S. Like everyone else, I think it's awesome that YOUR house is filled with garters every spring ;).

Snaky
03-14-2007, 02:59 AM
Also a welcome from Belgium :)
I also envy you, so let those pictures come:D

GarterGuy
03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum! That's very cool about the little ones sunning in the sunroom! I almost bought a house just because the owner said they had problems with snakes coming into their sunroom. One, a black rat, even came in and climbed into they lovebird's cage that was hanging from the ceiling and well....you can guess the rest. Very cool to have nature come and visit you though.:cool:
Roy

stonyloam
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
This is a great site and even though I do not keep any snakes, I do like having them around my property. To finish answering some of the questions: The blue snake was not happy to be handled, but was not aggressive (as were some that I have caught). As I get some decent photos of the snakes around (and in) my home (below) I will post them in the gallery. See ya.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/sunroom_garter.jpg

Cazador
03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Terry,
He looks far enough inside that you could probably reach out and get 'em! It's be a gamble, though. He's tempting!

Roy,
Are you thinking T.s. pallidulus on this one, too?

stonyloam
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
I Did. After taking the photo I picked him up. No problem, he was pretty cool (temperature wise) and he didn't put up much of a fuss. I sat him back next to he hole and he just looked at me. Got out an old work light and turned it on to give him a few rays. He climbed right up onto the foam insulation and stretched out (photo gallery). A buddy joined him a little later (photo gallery).

Cazador
03-14-2007, 07:00 PM
How funny! You're baiting snakes with a heat lamp :).

GarterGirl
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Awsome! I wish snakes could slither around free in my house. If they did, I'd look at them and play with them all the time. If they were garters, I could probably breed them because I have a lot of garters.

Gyre
03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Awesome. You're sunroom sounds like an artist retreat I go to. Garters and bats everywhere in the house.. =P It's those warm stone floors and old rafters.

Welcome. :)