PDA

View Full Version : we may move

drache
03-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Hi everybody
We saw this house yesterday we wish to move to - keep your fingers crossed (Daumen drücken, bitte), please.
The place has a garden that's large by local standards (the bedrooms are monastery size though).
No, seriously - I'd be able to keep the snakes outside year-round and the lizards (except the gecko) in summer.
I managed to convince Jeff that this is the perfect place for us, even though he's very concerned about the bedrooms.
Let's hope we get it.

GarterGuy
03-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I wish you luck with your house search. I just went through several months of negotiating on a piece of land to build a house on, to just have the township tell me I couldn't do what I wanted to do with out shelling out tons of extra cash. Needless to say, I didn't get it. House buying can suck, so I hope everything goes well with your purchase.
Roy

Thamnophis
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Good luck with the new house and so.

Snaky
03-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I hope everything goes well with buying the house. :)

Cazador
03-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Best of luck,

Rick

drache
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
well, I've convinced the family
now I need to get all the other ducks lined up

drache
03-13-2007, 02:21 PM
oh man!
this whole thing is suddenly very stressful

first there's Jeff's parents
then the loan
and we don't have a lawyer
or an engineer
but I did bargain them down

I am doing no more today
I've given Jeff some tasks
I'm going to have a beverage on the couch
watch the kids
and hold a snake

adamanteus
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Moving house is very stressful. I'll only do it again if I win the lottery!

GarterGirl
03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
It's a great house! It has everything we need except the bedrooms are kind of small. I love the backyard and the sunroom will be my playroom because my toys won't be able to fit in my bedroom. The basement is gigantic and it has a toilet in a corner (just a toilet)!

adamanteus
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
It sounds great. I always wanted a house with a basement, but never got one. I always convert the attic instead, wherever I go to live.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//541/medium/loft_complete.jpg

drache
03-13-2007, 06:01 PM
That is quite nice, James
Did you do all that yourself?

adamanteus
03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes Rhea, all my own work. But then I am a builder, so it would have to be good!

drache
03-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I do need to inform you that while that in my experience being a builder does not necessarily mean you're good at it.
You do some very fine work.

adamanteus
03-14-2007, 03:01 AM
I do need to inform you that in my experience being a builder does not necessarily mean you're good at it.

That's so true!! You should see the rubbish I produce when I'm working for other people! Only joking!:D :p

GarterGuy
03-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow James, bet it was really fun getting that desk up into there....YIKES!!!

drache
03-14-2007, 09:30 AM
My assumption is that it was just a pile of good quality lumber when it was brought up there.
Am I right, James?

adamanteus
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes Rhea, it was some left over oak from a kitchen I was working on. I built it in situ.

drache
03-23-2007, 02:17 PM
this house thing is driving me nuts!
Now that it's all gotten rolling and it looks like it's really happening, I'm going through jumping-off-the-cliff anxiety.
The inspector looked at it today and everything is in fine shape - just needs tons of cosmetic work.
There is a gigantic grape - it's more like a tree than a vine - shading the deck in the garden.
The neighborhood . . .
We'll miss ours for sure. We're real close to a lot of stores and restaurants now.
Over there it's a little sparse.
I'm trying to see myself there - trying to feel what it might be like to be there.
I've only moved over twenty times in my life - it's not like we're talking about absolute permanence here. Although I always think of it that way.
head trips
hm

adamanteus
03-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Moving house is a trauma. You never really know what you're going to get until you move. Up to now I've been lucky, I've always been pleased with my moves. It's scary though Rhea. Good luck.

KITKAT
03-23-2007, 06:10 PM
The hardest move I ever did was from the last house to here. I remember that after the furniture was removed and we were leaving for the last time, I went upstairs to check and make sure windows were closed, and walked into the hallway... looked into my son's room where he was a baby, and as clear as day I "saw" him standing in his crib on the first day that he accomplished standing up... looking over the rail with a big grin of accomplishment on his face...

.. and I choked and shed a little tear.

And now here we are, 14 years later, out in the outer suburbs - or is it the edge of "the country", with our 1.5 acres and our larger house... and I am supremely happy and content!;)

Stefan-A
03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I haven't had a real home of my own (and I doubt I will get one anytime soon), so I don't know what that feels like, but I do remember what it felt like to help my grandparents move from theirs. After all, it was a place where I had spent much of my life and so I had a lot of memories of that place.

I've moved from one apartment to the next 6 times in 8 years and I know that it just doesn't compare. That's also the reason why I only own furniture I can carry by myself and why everything I make is either modular or extremely light. I'm even considering attaching a carrying handle to my desktop computer.

drache
03-24-2007, 04:29 AM
I've moved from one apartment to the next 6 times in 8 years and I know that it just doesn't compare. That's also the reason why I only own furniture I can carry by myself and why everything I make is either modular or extremely light. I'm even considering attaching a carrying handle to my desktop computer.[/quote]

it sounds like you've accepted the reality of your nature, whereas I am in deep denial about my propensity to move. I have so much stuff . . .

Stefan-A
03-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Not my nature, I'd settle down right now if I had the chance. It's just that it's been necessary to move around between cities where I've worked and where I've studied.

My parents are storing about 2/3 of my stuff and 1/2 of my snakes. :D I hope they realize how grateful I am.

Snaky
03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
My parents are storing about 2/3 of my stuff and 1/2 of my snakes. :D I hope they realize how grateful I am.
My dad would've kiledl me if I would even just asked that:D
You're very lucky that they do that.

adamanteus
03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I am also considering a move. I want to move farther south within the UK. Lots of reasons, but one is that the climate is just that bit warmer, so they have more reptiles than we do in the industrial North. I've yet to convince "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

Gyre
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I've never moved in my life. It's almost maddening for me though, I can't wait to move out and get my own place... Do some traveling. :D

drache
04-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Here's my update:
Yes! We shall move.
The actual moving is going to probably happen in about two months.
Meanwhile I've been so busy, I haven't had any time with my critters.
Now it's mostly about organizing and stuff.
I really wanted to build another rack and get a couple of cages at the expo.
Now I better wait 'til after we move to build the rack, and getting new cages probably better wait as well. I wanted to give some of my snakes bigger accommodations (just like ourselves) and they'll just have to wait a bit.
Meanwhile, we're going to Florida for a few days this week to celebrate Jeff's grandma's 90th birthday. We've said no to Disney, yes to the Everglades, and I'm hoping to see some critters in what was once their habitat.

adamanteus
04-02-2007, 03:44 AM
yes to the Everglades, and I'm hoping to see some critters in what was once their habitat.

I'll look forward to seeing some photographs from that trip, Rhea! Good luck with the move.:)

Sid
04-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Congradulations to you Rhea. I hope the ove goes smoothly for you and your family. Enjoy the trip.

Sid

drache
04-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Meanwhile, we're going to Florida for a few days this week to celebrate Jeff's grandma's 90th birthday.[/quote]

We're going to Florida on my 9th birthday which is on Thursday and we're also celebrating it in Florida!

drache
04-02-2007, 04:23 AM
that was Mikhaila's post of course
she got on the wrong computer
I'm a bit older than that
and this morning I like it that way

GarterGuy
04-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey have fun in the glades. I've never been there myself, but hear it's herp heaven. I'll be going to the Tampa area in may to do some herping. Hope to bring back lots of pics and can't wait to see your's. Have fun and oh, good luck with the move.
Roy