PDA

View Full Version : Rough year for my Blacknecks

MoJo
07-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I lost one of my females in the spring. She had a swelling at the end of the first third of her body for several months. I had taken her to the vet and they did not know what it was. She was losing weight and I am pretty sure it was a tumor of some kind. She was probably one of my favorite snakes but unfortunately she could not be saved. RIP Cheetah.

Last year I had planned to keep back a male from her litter but I had so few males that I decided at the last minute to let them all go and keep a girl back. I am so happy I did!

I still had another adult female, Tiger, to breed and I witnessed her and the male breeding on 3/28. She shed once since then and was getting huge. A few weeks ago she stopped eating. I was hoping she was going in to shed and maybe the babies would come earlier than last year. On Saturday she started laying slugs! There were two babies but one is only about a gram and I doubt it will make it and the other is bigger but also small. We'll see how they do.

The funny thing is that Tiger still looks a little big and feels lumpy to me. I hope she is pulling a Bertha on me and will go on to give me some nice healthy looking babies in the next few months!

I will try and post photos later in the week.

GarterGeek
07-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry you've had a rough time, recently. Hopefully, babies are on their way. Can't wait to see pictures.:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Awwwe, I'm really sorry to hear all that!! It always sucks when things get so out of whack. I got 2 litters of jellies myself this year, a huge bummer, but it's even harder to lose a snake. I just found tumors inside my big female radix. I had the pair sold but now obviously I won't be selling her! It's tough because I know I will be losing her...

my blacknecks from you are doing so well. all three (got another female from Scott) are big fat piggies!!! I'll be cooling my larger female and the male this coming season!! Hopefully things get better for you!

drache
07-13-2009, 04:52 PM
that's rough, Joanna
sorry about the loss of your female
and I hope Tiger will turn out a few more

gregmonsta
07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear that ... crossing fingers for Tiger :)

MoJo
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys.