PDA

View Full Version : Hiii

A Boyd
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Hello I am looking at buying a garter. Now I don't mean to be any hassle.

But if you guys could answer some questions I would be more than grateful...

What size aquarium around and will it need to be heated?
I know goldfish and frogs, but what is the best food and how often?
What sort of stuff should I be putting in the aquarium(stones,Water etc.)
Any other important information would be greatly received!!

Thanks in advance, AB

Stefan-A
07-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

You might want to check out our basic care sheet:
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

A Boyd
07-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

You might want to check out our basic care sheet:
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

Oh great! Sorry didn't see that, cheers

ssssnakeluvr
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
welcome to the forum!!!!

sirtalis01
07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
welcome and enjoy the forum...im sure all your questions will be answer.

Odie
07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi, from Oregon, AB :)

GarterGeek
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello I am looking at buying a garter. Now I don't mean to be any hassle.

But if you guys could answer some questions I would be more than grateful...

Thanks in advance, AB

Hello and Welcome!!!:D

A basic rule for aquarium size I follow is: The length and width of the aquarium should add up to more than the length of the snake. Garter's often like to climb so additional space can be created with logs and tall plants. For each additional snake you house I'd add two-three inches to the dimensions.

Heat, as far as I know, depends on the species of garter snake as they have a wide range of territory with a variety of temperatures. ALL of them however, need a basking lamp. Garter's love soaking up sunshine.

Goldfish are not a good source of food. They often contain Thiaminese, which (I've heard) leads to Vitamin B deficiency. This may not sound like much but I've heard of snakes dying from this. Other people on the site know more about Thiaminese. Frogs and salamanders are great, although they often contain parasites. Night crawlers, guppies and pinkies are good sources of food. How much, and how often you should feed depends on the size of the snake.

You'll need a water bowl and places for your snake to hide. You'll also need something to cover the ground of the aquarium (a substrate). I recommend aspen, but you'll have to feed your snake out of the aquarium in case your snake accidentally eats it.

I hope I've answered all of your questions.:) I'm sure others will be willing to give you advice too.

Quibble
07-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Welcome! :D

guidofatherof5
07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Nice to have you on the forum. I don't know how close Sunderland, NE is to Omaha/Council Bluffs but if you get here I will let you have a pair or 2 of my beautiful T.radix(Plaines Garter Snake) Just let me know.:)
The care sheet is a good place to start looking for what you need.

I just checked and saw you are in the middle of the State. Not very close but my offer still stands.

adamanteus
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum.:)
Always nice to welcome a fellow Brit.
I use only safe (thiaminase free) fish such as salmon or trout, pinky mice and earthworms...... stay away from those Goldfish!

drache
07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
welcome to the forum, Alex

Nice to have you on the forum. I don't know how close Sunderland, NE is to Omaha/Council Bluffs but if you get here I will let you have a pair or 2 of my beautiful T.radix(Plaines Garter Snake) Just let me know.:)
The care sheet is a good place to start looking for what you need.

I just checked and saw you are in the middle of the State. Not very close but my offer still stands.
wrong NE I think - hence wrong Sunderland as well

gregmonsta
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Greetings :)

As big as possible really :) garters are very active and love to explore. I would say a three foot tank as a minimum for an adult female. Being in Britain you will need to provide a warm spot without a doubt. Make sure it's on a thermostat and the snake has the choice of a warm spot of about 30C and 20C at the opposite end of the tank.

Best food available here in britain would be a mixed diet of pinky mice (fluffs for larger snakes) and frozen/thawed trout or salmon fillet. (with occaisional vitamin and calcium supplements) this is easy to cut into portions and store in the freezer.
Adults should be fed approx twice a week with young snakes eating every two to three days. Garters have a higher metabolism than other snakes.

A nice large waterbowl, lots of hiding places (plastic plants are good for this in addition to a hide) and branchy things for it to climb.

They're fantastic snakes and you've come to the right site. Have a good look around the forum and you'll find plenty of interesting information ;)

guidofatherof5
07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
welcome to the forum, Alex

wrong NE I think - hence wrong Sunderland as well

If so, then it's probably a bit further then I originally thought:D

A Boyd
07-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, It has helped immensely...looks like i have joined the right site. ;)

Thanks again!!

neutron
07-14-2009, 07:44 AM
welcome! :D