PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

celticguitar
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Hello All!
I have two little guys of the common garter variety there are slightly diffent from each other one is about 12 inches and has a yellowish tint to her sides and the other is about 2 feet and has more blue to it's sides both have the usual yellow stripes. They both eat well on earthworms and cut up night crawlers. I have tried small guppies once or twice but no takers but will try again now that they more aclimated to the enclosure. I dip the ends of the worms calcium with vit d once a week. I don't handle them too often as they are quite qiuck and wiggly but calm down after a minute or so. They are quite friendly and have never bit me. They are so cute and curious as they poke their heads up through the bedding to check things out. I guess they are more of a watch than handle snakes. I enjoy them quite a bit:)
Dwight

adamanteus
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi Dwight, and welcome to the forum.:)

gregmonsta
07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
Greetings :D

Stefan-A
07-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

drache
07-09-2009, 04:56 AM
welcome to the forum, Dwight
some of mine are "watch" snakes, and I also have some garters that are more "hanging out" snakes

Quibble
07-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the forum! Do you play guitar? -I do!-

guidofatherof5
07-09-2009, 05:42 AM
It's nice to have you on the forum. We would love to see some pictures of your friends.
I've got a house full of "take me out and let me hang around with you" snakes.
Again, welcome.

Snaky
07-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the forum and have fun here :)

count dewclaw
07-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome, welcome! :D

Our family enjoys celtic music. :)

Snake lover 3-25
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
welcome to the forum!

celticguitar
07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I hope this works a picture of my Garters chilling in the tank and a picture of an Eastern Milk I caught and released after unsucessful feeding attempts
Dwight

guidofatherof5
07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Very nice looking snakes, Dwight.
Thanks for sharing.

drache
07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
nice looking snakes
thanks for the photos

TwistidMutations
07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the forum

neutron
07-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

celticguitar
07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Well I must be doing something right so far It's been about 6 weeks(?) since I got Lelu and Ridick . Ridick shed after about a week after capture and Lelu eyes are starting to cloud so I assume a shed is on the way. they are still feeding on worms with a once or twice a week calcium dip for the worms. It took a little time to get everything just so so the temps are near spot on as well as humidty. I found a light dimmer switch wired into a extension cord for the red light works great as a top off heat for the day along with the basking lamp and a keep warm source at night source. They are getting more curious about their surroundings and don't dart away and hide if it's just me near or when I open the tank ( I am the only one who opens it anyway) from other people they hide. The reason I mention that things apprear to be going well is that I read online stuff that says wild caught garters don't do well in captivity but you all seem to be doing well with yours so why shouldn't I if I follow the rules of care? fingers crossed
Dwight:)

guidofatherof5
07-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I've never had any trouble with any wild caught Garters. Most start eating out of may hand moments after being caught. Many start on unscented pinkies.
Good luck, it sounds like you're doing a good job. Lelu's eyes will blue and then clear up. A couple of days after they go back to clear she'll shed.

Be careful of the basking lamp. If the snake can reach them there is a possibility they could get burned.

celticguitar
07-19-2009, 06:55 AM
It's not any where near the lid screen nor is the red lamp the basking lamp is about 2-3 inches above screen and red lamp is 1-2 inches above screen so there isn't any direct contact with the heat source and tank. I also thought they went off food when their eyes go blue but I had dropped some food in before I noticed Lelu's eyes but Lelu ate anyway. I can't wait to see what Lelu looks like after the shed and she brightens up. Her belly is pale blue with the usual stripes along back but she has this neat pattern of yellow that appears and disappears has she coils they look like ( followed by ) it's kind of hard to describe but it looks cool. Riddick is smaller is more tannish brown underneath and along sides and lacks Leleu's pattern when he coils along.
Dwight
( If Dory was a snake) Just keep coiling ,Just Keep Coiling, Just keep coiling :rolleyes:

Odie
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Dwight :)

Mommy2many
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Welcome from Connecticut!

celticguitar
07-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Well Lelu's shed was perfect and she's eating like a horse. She looks twice as thick as when I caught her:). I'll have to post a pic soon
Dwight