PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok?

TRL94
07-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi Everyone,
Well I have an adult albino garter snake my best friend traded me for my bearded dragon. I have had her for about a week and half. My mom is fine with me having the snake but my stepdad is scared of it. Mostly just being in the house. My mom told me this morning that I have to move her outside. I live in florida so im not worried about the heat. But I had my beardie's cage outside and it got bugs in it alot. Should I be worried about having my snake's cage outside? Can she die if she gets any parasites?

Thanks for the help

Odie
07-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi, from Oregon, TRL94 :)

prattypus
07-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I'd fight to keep it indoors. There are too many factors that can sabotage your efforts to successfully care for your new critter. If it's a glass enclosure, it will act like an oven when the sun rays hit it. Kinda like when kids use magnifying glasses to burn ants- only the garter lives in it!!! Plus the predators around there will either get him, or cause him an undue amount of stress.

I'd say this is a bad idea.

TRL94
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I always fight but its hard to win lol what if I put him in my garage it isn't air conditioned though but its not way to hot.

drache
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I live in florida so im not worried about the heat. But I had my beardie's cage outside and it got bugs in it alot. Should I be worried about having my snake's cage outside? Can she die if she gets any parasites?
parasites are not the only threat, but yes, they can kill her
I don't know whether you have raccoons in Florida . . .
and I would in fact worry about the heat
your garter will not tolerate the same level of heat as your beardie did
and it's getting hotter too
you could not have all of the enclosure in direct sunlight ever, particularly since your garter is an albino

Zephyr
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I have an outdoor enclosure for my eastern garters. They seem to do better outdoors than indoors.

However, I'd recommend fighting to keep her indoors.

Didymus20X6
07-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't know whether you have raccoons in Florida . . .
That would be "yes". I grew up in South GA, and South GA and FL pretty much have the same wildlife.

You'll want to keep that guy out of the sun. If the garage doesn't get too hot, that might be the place to keep it. Make sure there's a nice supply of clean water for the snake, so he can take a dip to cool off if necessary.

Millinex
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd honestly fight for them to be inside, less to worry about.

TRL94
07-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Well my stepdad doesn't care right now. I think he was just in a bad mood. lol We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the help!

Quibble
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
If you can teach it to do tricks it might win your dad's heart. :D

guidofatherof5
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
If you can teach it to do tricks it might win your dad's heart. :D

I'm a Dad and I say the heck with tricks. Can it make some money?:D
A talking radixes is what I'm shooting for. Then I can write my own ticket:D You laugh, I'm teaching one to say snake. Right now all he can say is sssssssssssssss......:D

TheArtist
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe he's really saying $$$$$$$$$$? hehe

Didymus20X6
07-07-2009, 11:34 PM
If so, you should name him Bill Gates.

drache
07-08-2009, 05:57 AM
saying it is not enough

jamromhem
07-08-2009, 08:45 AM
yeah he can't say he is a snake he has to prove it. Atleast that is what I tell my kids when they say they are good boys.