PDA

View Full Version : Eco Earth Coconut fibre as substrate?

PitGirl89
07-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I have this for my hermit crabs, I mix it with sand for them. It holds humidity well, but once it is dry, I think it could potentially make a good substrate for a Garter. Has anyone tried this? Maybe this mixed with the bark chips could work?

Quibble
07-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Im sure it would be fine. Sometimes I use that stuff that comes in a compressed brick and you add water to it to make it expand into a good substrate. It seems to be easily digestible, holds humidity and is easy to spot clean. Im sure the stuff you're talking about is very similar.

PitGirl89
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Im sure it would be fine. Sometimes I use that stuff that comes in a compressed brick and you add water to it to make it expand into a good substrate. It seems to be easily digestible, holds humidity and is easy to spot clean. Im sure the stuff you're talking about is very similar.

I'm pretty sure its exactly the same actually. What I have here came in three bricks, you mix it in water and wait lol. It expands. Its moist, but once it dries, I think it'd be okay!?

Quibble
07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, its great stuff. Especially when you spill a lot of water! It kinda looks sandy/dusty when its dry, Gimpie swallows a lot but it comes out the other end looking like fresh potting soil! lol eew.

Quibble
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
You know, I think there is a cheaper alternative to this stuff though... I went to a hardware store and for a HUGE bag of peat moss soil for $10. It looks similar but it is slightly darker, and theres no coconut strings in it. Works wonders for a tight budget, lasts long, and is great for plants too! :D

PitGirl89
07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
There aren't any chemicals or any fertilizers used in peat moss though?

DrKate
07-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I had a hard time finding any soil at my garden store that didn't have either chemical fertilizers, "wetting agents," or those foam bead thingies. Even the organic potting soil had been "enhanced with beneficial bacteria" - not something I was all that comfortable with. I did eventually find some made for orchids that as far as I can tell is just ground peat moss with some worm castings mixed in. So... pretty much plain "dirt." :)

Just make sure you read all the labels carefully...

Melmo
07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I've experienced extremely rapid mold growth if the the eco earth gets moist for even a bit. So remember to have good ventilation while waiting for it to dry. Adding peat moss will help prevent mold growth (Acidity), just as future advice though, because I know it will be dry in your garter enclosure.

PitGirl89
07-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Is peat moss safe to use for garters though?

Stefan-A
07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Peat moss should be safe for garters.

The acidity doesn't do much to keep away mold. It should, however, make the substrate a bit less hospitable to bacteria.

PitGirl89
08-02-2009, 09:00 PM
okay, so via trial and error, I don't suggest using this bedding. It retains humidity far too well. I have had it in there for 3 days and the lowest humidity that I've seen in the tank is 89% at ground level (which is where no feet spends most of her time) the highest was 93%. I bought some bark chips today and I'll be putting them in tomorrow morning. The only thing I'll miss though is that No Feet made little burrows through the coco fibre and had her own tunnel system in her viv. it was quite neat, I would go to check her out only to find her head poking out of one of her dozen-or-more tunnels.