PDA

View Full Version : New Addition!

Mommy2many
06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Thursday, my four year old and I were out in my garden (from last year) searching for worms for our snuggle snakes. Connor suddenly exclaimed, "Snake!" I started to tell him he didn't have a snake when I actually turned and looked and he did have a snake! He caught a baby snake and I will post some pictures to my album. I think it's a garter but it is the color of an earthworm and I'm not so sure. Can anyone help me out? Also, how can you tell how old they might be?

ssssnakeluvr
06-27-2009, 06:14 PM
there's no way to tell an age on a snake, unless you raise it from birth. you can guess on real small ones as they are probably from last year....possibly this year if they are found later in the summer and they are real small....if it's the color of a worm, might be a brown snake......

guidofatherof5
06-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a brown(Dekayi) ADW: Storeria dekayi: Information (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Storeria_dekayi.html)

Mommy2many
06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks! You guys seem to be correct. I have compared my new snake to the brown snake sites and that is what it most resembles. It is about 6 to 7 inches long, so I guess it is probably almost an adult. It seems so tiny even compared to my baby garter snake!