PDA

View Full Version : Night herping

Josh
06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Is it effective?

MasSalvaje
06-27-2009, 10:50 AM
This may sound like a dumb answer but it depends what you are looking for and how you are looking.

If you are specifically talking about Garters than no it is not a good time. Of the hundreds if not thousands of snakes I have found at night (usually roadcruising), only a hand full have been Garters. I have found the best times for Garters are in the morning when the sun is popping out or at dusk when they seem to be on the move from their basking and hunting grounds to the cover for the night.

There was a nice meadow I visited at dusk recently that I found a Garter under nearly every dried cow patty I flipped. Not the most glamorous of herping tecniques but it works well.

-Thomas

prattypus
06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
There was a nice meadow I visited at dusk recently that I found a Garter under nearly every dried cow patty I flipped. Not the most glamorous of herping tecniques but it works well.

Hey- that's the secret move I use on first dates!~:D

Josh
06-27-2009, 12:43 PM
This may sound like a dumb answer but it depends what you are looking for and how you are looking.

If you are specifically talking about Garters than no it is not a good time. Of the hundreds if not thousands of snakes I have found at night (usually roadcruising), only a hand full have been Garters. I have found the best times for Garters are in the morning when the sun is popping out or at dusk when they seem to be on the move from their basking and hunting grounds to the cover for the night.

-Thomas

Thanks ill be up early tommorow!

Didymus20X6
06-27-2009, 12:49 PM
This is useful information. I know there are some garters still around here, but I never seem to be able to find them anymore. Knowing the best time of day to look for them will be very helpful.

MasSalvaje
06-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks ill be up early tommorow!

But not too early. From my experience they are out the most just as it is starting to get warm but before it gets too hot. Look in the foliage near ponds and streams for the best results.

Josh
06-27-2009, 12:56 PM
lol My garter spots are pretty ghetto
YouTube - josh2932's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/josh2932)
watch the vid and you will see what i mean

guidofatherof5
06-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Great effort on the video, Josh.
Thanks for sharing.

Josh
06-27-2009, 09:54 PM
thanks glad you enjoyed it

twmedford23
06-28-2009, 04:30 AM
I honestly haven't had much luck herping at night, even on roads. We have a nice size pond on our property and I've set up good hiding spots(tin, plywood, etc.) around it and the only things I've found under them at night were dekayis or red belly snakes. No ribbons or garters even though we have a ton. Mornings and afternoons are when I have had the most luck. Sometimes evenings but it's been a while since I've found anything interesting from 6-9.

Zephyr
06-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I find that if it's a rainy night you'll find quite a few garters out.

guidofatherof5
06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I find that if it's a rainy night you'll find quite a few garters out.

You are so right. I end up feeding my caught worms to the wild radixes in the backyard. They don't seem to mind the flashlite. They are on a mission.