PDA

View Full Version : Death Roll?

MasSalvaje
06-25-2009, 03:31 PM
My female T. s. similus started acting weird today. She always seems wired and will lash at anything however today as I was cleaning cages she took it to the extreme. When I would get close to her she would literally start flipping until she went into a full on death roll with her mouth wide open. I picked her up and she seemed to calm down a bit but she would still whip her head if I made any sudden movements.

Has anyone seen this behavior before. She eats unscented f/t pinkies and seems to be doing well apart from her latest antics. I added more cover to her enclosure in addition to the 2 hides she already had as well as put her enclosre in a room that has less foot traffic to see if it could be stress related.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Thomas

adamanteus
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
That's weird. Maybe something has just really stressed her today? Perhaps a couple of days totally undisturbed, let her settle again.

drache
06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
that's weird
one of mine tried eating my pants yesterday - maybe it's the moon

MasSalvaje
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks James I will do that!

I called the Vet and he told me that I should wait a day or two to take her in because if it is stress related the exam would only add to the problem. He also mentioned if I notice her doing it with out being disturbed or any prolonged mouth gaping than I should bring her in asap.

-Thomas

MasSalvaje
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM
that's weird
one of mine tried eating my pants yesterday - maybe it's the moon

You could be right.... That would explain the wolf hairs I randomly find in the enclosure.

-Thomas

guidofatherof5
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Best of luck with her, Thomas.
You and your snake are in our prayers.
Please keep us informed.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey, that is exactly, to the T what happened to my female similis before she died. She was flipping out, spazzing, I actually walked into the snakeroom and heard he doing it in her tub. Upon trying to examine her she went into those rolls, and was flailing her head wildly about. She would open her mouth wide and leave it partially open and sideways and repeatedly strike, but it seemed to me that she was not all "there" her eyes just kind of stared and she was just flipping mad. I would put her on my floor and she would just wildly roll around in full body rotations while madly shaking her tail.... it was horrible! Then she started to have convulsions and seizures and at that point she went into the freezer. She basically was taking reactions to ANY stimuli to the ultimate extreme. She was only a few months old, and healthy as an ox from Scott's 08 breedings. My male is still doing awesome!!!!! Never saw anything like it in my life though!!

drache
06-27-2009, 04:14 AM
I wonder . . .
perhaps some snakes are born with neurological defects that don't show up right away?

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Maybe.... who really knows though?!?! could have been a totally freak thing... or maybe just a few snakes from that clutch ended up with the short end of the stick! My male from that same clutch is doing really well though... now a young adult and I have an 09 female on the way!!

MasSalvaje
06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Well this was a hard one to swallow but I had to put my female similis down today. She continued to get worse and showed no signs of any hope at all. It was a complete mystery to the vet so he couldn't offer any suggestions except a genetic fluke or a head injury of some sort.

I have had to put down other snakes before but this was a tough one. This similis is what got the Tham fire really burning in me. I have to thank her for that!

-Thomas

drache
06-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry about your loss
it had to be hard to see her go like this

guidofatherof5
06-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Thomas,

That's a sad and hard thing to do.
You are in our prayers.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
It was hard for me too... like I said, this same exact thing happened to my similis girl.... but I am sure both of them are in a better place now that they are no longer suffering! Are you going to get another? I sure miss mine, can't wait for my 09 similis girl to arrive!!! My male is all by his lonesome for now!!!

MasSalvaje
06-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Are you going to get another? I sure miss mine, can't wait for my 09 similis girl to arrive!!!

I already had one on order from Scott, I was going to try for a second after the latest developments but I think I just want to get the one I have on the way well started and finishing the pair next year.

-Thomas

gregmonsta
06-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Really sorry to hear about that.

Snaky
06-29-2009, 01:10 AM
This is always sad to hear. So sorry for your loss :(

Mommy2many
06-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Tom,

Sorry for your loss.

ssssnakeluvr
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
sorry about your loss. not sure why that happened.... and you got to keep the tham fires burning!!!!

charles parenteau
06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
!I just killed my orange eastern (born last year) ,the one ,the unique...MY project of 3 strippes flame is delay Again.
For few month she looked normal ,but when she was around 3 months old ,I dint like the way she crowl ,some sign of desorder .The problem increase as she grow.Few weeks ago I took her in bath with 1 inche of water , to see how she crawl.That was scary.
I know that is some kind of neurological problem.I start feeding her with earth worm until her first 3 months of life so Its not my jellow or food ...

Today I did the same thing ,in the bath again ,that accentuate the motion.She spin Like a torpido under water ,all the body in turning motion,the head in water.Lot of freak movement!!!That was her last bath. Straight in the freezer.

! Its easy to take pictures of a death snake but I didn't do it .
I release her twin sister in Mai (where they from)the spare that I've should keep.BUt its a part of the game it happen once maybe it will happen again!Death Roll is the word...

Stefan-A
06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear that, Charles.

drache
06-30-2009, 04:49 AM
sorry for your loss, Charles
it sounds pretty awful to witness this death roll thing

charles parenteau
06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
WHat really happen ??Gonna ask to my friend later this week.
THis is her.Look the picture in my hand look like flip over or twist.
The snake wasn't stiff anymore.
Unable to take a picture of her real color when she was living.
the red cheek finally spread over the face.Red face with the 3 strippes orange.HUm I Imagine at adult size!!!
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/parenteau/P1000549.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/parenteau/P1000522.jpg