PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my Snuggle Snakes

Mommy2many
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I have one other question. How long can I leave a "pinkie" in with my snake before I can be sure she is not interested in eating it?

The first one I tried she ate within a couple hours. The other one she moved around the vivarium, so I took it out. Her diet right now is very large nightcrawlers. I put some tadpoles in for the baby snake because I haven't seen that one eat yet but she/he does alot of hunting for worms. I have had the little one now for about 3 weeks and she/he seems content.

Le Ann

guidofatherof5
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
A day old pinky probably isn't a problem. I wouldn't re-freeze it, I think I'd toss it.

If your little one is searching for worms, you might try a small dish with dirt and earthworms in it. Maybe isolate the baby during these feeding times if it's with the larger one.
I sometimes use a ice cream bucket. Put in the dirt and worms and just add the snake. The lid with a few slits cut in it should keep the little one secure. I give my little scrubs hours of searching time. You'll be able to tell if it has eaten anything. They also like to bury themselves in the dirt so don't be alarmed if you don't see her right away when you check. Best of luck.

Mommy2many
06-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Steve! Today I put in some krill that I have for my Parrot fish. I defrosted it first so it would be warm. The baby snake decided to sit in the bowl with the krill, so maybe she is interested. I also added some more earthworms that are her size.

I've been "growing" my own earthworms since I found the snakes. Yesterday 2 of my kids and I had a field day harvesting worms from the yard. We have had about 17 days of rain here in June and they are everywhere!

I have plenty of worms and tadpoles. We have a kid size inflatable pool outside, which the tree frogs have decided to call "home" now for the second year in a row. Never ending food supply...

Le Ann

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Krill are a shrimp, which is a crustacean and have an outer shell similar to that of an insect which these snakes cannot digest... I would remove the krill immediately because the shell *could* cause an impaction if ingested! Shrimp are not on the menu for garter snakes.... but if she gives you any trouble eating pinkies, since she likes worms so much, just rub them all over some worms and she should eat those no problem :D

Mommy2many
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you so much! I didn't even think of that. I have removed the krill. Doesn't look like any of it went anywhere. I have taken Steve's advice and put my baby snake in a home of her own for a little bit with 7 earthworms. She is too small to eat a pinkie, I would have to cut it up.

I don't get the impression that she is intimidated by Stewie but it bothers me that I haven't seen her consume anything.

How long will a snake last without eating? She seems content but I worry. (Being a mom and all)

Le Ann

guidofatherof5
06-22-2009, 07:25 PM
They can go a long time. In some situations 1 or 2 months. That's not a good thing at this time of the year.

Her being intimidated wasn't the concern. If she starts to eat and the other grabs the other end of the same worm the baby might become part of the meal. They eat until what they are eating is gone. As a rule they won't stop because it's one of there own.:eek:

If worms don't work, go buy some guppies from a pet shop. Put them in a very small amount of water. You want them splashing around. This usually simulates an eating response. I've had non-eater become eaters, thanks to the guppies. I love those guppies.

Mommy2many
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Good News!!!

I took Steve's advice and bought some feeder guppies today. I cleaned my vivarium and placed the fish in the water bowl. One fish had disappeared but we didn't see which snake at it. Then as I was going to put some worms in, my baby snake flipped a fish out of the water & ate it! She then went back for a second! She has tried for the last two but has missed. I expect that we will have no more fish by morning. I'm so happy she has eaten!

guidofatherof5
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Super news.
If I ever have a trouble/slow/no eater and guppies get them started I keep them on the guppies for awhile. This gives them a chance to put some weight on and get their gut cycling. After awhile I add in cut-up worms/pinky parts/salmon to the mix and use less and less of the guppies with each feeding.
I have also gone right to worms. It all depends on the little scrub. For some of my non-eater, guppies got them going and that's all they needed. For some that first meal can be difficult. Then lookout.
Great job getting her to eat.