PDA

View Full Version : Big Male Radix

guidofatherof5
06-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I had one of the ladies from work approach me today. The first words out of her mouth were "If you don't come and get it, I'll kill it" That was all I needed to hear. After work I went to her house and located this little(Ha) male radix. When I first caught it I thought it was the skinniest adult female I had ever seen. My mind started thinking she might have parasites or maybe she has some other health issue. I checked the rest of the property for more and only located a baby female. After I got home I took the big one out for a check-up.
To my surprize, this skinny girl is actually a big male. This is the largest male radix I've ever seen. He's twice as big as any of mine. He must be very old for wild standards. He's 29 inches long. I can't get a weight since my scale is missing. My kids say they have no idea where it's at.:rolleyes:
Well, here is the big boy. He is very calm and no musking.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/male1.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/male_21.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
very pretty:) congrats on another great find!!

guidofatherof5
06-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I just hand fed him 2 unsented pinkies. Been here for an hour and already hand feeding. I like this big guy. Not sure of a name, maybe Arnold.
Gave him a 10 gal with a screened lid for his quarantine period. He's out and the kids are walking around the livingroom. He's moving around and not being startled. He's very calm.

misskris
06-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Awesome.. Great find :)

ssssnakeluvr
06-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Nice, that is a big boy!!!

guidofatherof5
06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Nice, that is a big boy!!!

He's a very typical male radix only SUPER SIZED. If all you looked at was his head you would say it's a male. All the male head traits only on a larger scale. I could sit and watch this guy for hours. I think I will, bye.

prattypus
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
That's quite the handsome man. That dorsal stripe looks really saturated as well. Being from Denver, may I recommend Orange Crush? Just Crush for short? Maybe Sunkist.

guidofatherof5
06-18-2009, 07:50 PM
That's quite the handsome man. That dorsal stripe looks really saturated as well. Being from Denver, may I recommend Orange Crush? Just Crush for short? Maybe Sunkist.

Orange crush is all ready spoken for. That's my 1957 Schwinn bikes name. I'll keep the others in mind, thanks.

He's an amazing male. He is as tame as some that have been here from birth. He's a great snake. I'm glad he didn't get cut-up, that would have been a shame and a waste. Not to mention, cruel.
She said she's afraid of them and doesn't want it attacking her. Attacking her. I tried to explain things to her but to no avail. I'll rescue a thousand of them before I let them get killed like that.

Spankenstyne
06-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Very nice. Wish we could keep Radix here... dern regs ;)

Sid
06-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Very nicce addition, Steve. Love that nice orange strip.

gregmonsta
06-19-2009, 05:42 AM
You should call him 'King' :D for 'King-sized' :D

count dewclaw
06-19-2009, 05:59 AM
You have another nice one there, Steve.

guidofatherof5
06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
He now has a name "Old Man"

guidofatherof5
06-20-2009, 04:12 AM
I've been up since 3 am. Just couldn't sleep. Going to do some early morning herping in a few of the small surrounding towns.
Old Man lives in the livingroom for now, so I decided to spend some time with him. He too was having a hard time sleeping. To go from the great outdoors all his life to this small enclosure has to be strange to him. This will all change after his quarantine period. Old Man was up bathing so I reached in. He just looked at me and continued swimming. I picked him up and held him for awhile. He is such a big male. I think he's a little undernourished. That will change since he likes pinkies so much. I wish I knew how old he was. To obtain this size in the wild had to have taken sometime.
He has quite a calm attitude. I've usually been able to spot a male radix just by the head structure. With this guy, every one of those characteristics is almost doubled. I am captivated by this guy. I've just never seen a male radix of this size before. I hope to give him many more years of life, here at the ranch. I'll try to get some other photos this weekend and post them.

drache
06-20-2009, 05:34 AM
what a great save, Steve
and he's beauty
you lucky guys - both

Zephyr
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I remember finding a massive male eastern like him last year. It's so intriguing to see a big male. :P

guidofatherof5
06-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I put Oldman on the scale tonight. 85 grams. That puts all the other males I've ever had to shame. I think he'll be around 100 grams when he fills out where he should be. The way he takes pinkies makes me believe he's had them before.

GartersRock
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
WOW!!! :eek: :eek:

guidofatherof5
06-22-2009, 06:23 AM
There's been a slight name change for Old Man. I put a much larger water dish in for him. I watched him come out and get it. The look on his face was one of contentment. He sat and soaked for 30 minutes. He's seems to be soaking a lot, now. I'm not sure he ever had the opportunity for this were he came from, other than an occassional rain storm mud puddle. I am getting so much enjoyment from this big guy. I hope he's with us for a long time.

I almost forgot, the name change. He's now Old Man River. Seem appropiate.

guidofatherof5
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Thought I would give you another look at the boy. He just came out of the tub, again.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/old_man_river.jpg

Millinex
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I wish my garters would tame down as well as yours do ;)

guidofatherof5
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I wish my garters would tame down as well as yours do ;)

It takes a lot of talking to them. Also, a lot of one-on-one time. Luckly, I have 5 kids to help. This is a busy house so they get used to seeing people. Even W/C seem to settle down quickly.

Millinex
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
It takes a lot of talking to them. Also, a lot of one-on-one time. Luckly, I have 5 kids to help. This is a busy house so they get used to seeing people. Even W/C seem to settle down quickly.
I do, but even now after a week they are all so skittish around me, the bull is doing much better and being nice atm but the garters are all like OMG RUN AWAY BAD GUY

Josh
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Nice snake i love radix

guidofatherof5
06-23-2009, 09:25 PM
He is The Man. Took a couple fuzzies tonight.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/mouse_boy.jpg

There's been something about this guy that I just haven't been able to put my finger on, until tonight.
When I'm holding him there was something familiar..Then it dawned on me. He reminds me of my best old female BigBig. Let me explain. BigBig's body started changing about 9 months before I had to put her down. Any of you that has had old snakes might relate to this. Her body started taking on a triangle shape. Very tapered sides and a flat belly. Old Man River has that same feel, only not near as bad. I'm going to monitor his weight, weekly. I may had gotten this guy at the near end of his life. I hope that I'm wrong but he is so big and seems fragile. I'm not sure how to descibe it. In any event, I plan on giving him everything he want for as long as he's with us. He is a blessing and has a special place in our family.
He's my OLD SCHOOL radix.:D