PDA

View Full Version : is this snake possible breeding size?

ClosedCasket88
03-06-2007, 04:08 PM
my northwestern put on alota weight and gained alota length since i got him in the fall ,im impressed and i cant weight to breed him , hes about almost 2 ft , being 21 inches(todays shed ) i was thinkin of givin him another week or two to put on weight and then give him a few weeks then artificialy hibernate him in a fridge since it will be warm in my region by then .
would he be breedable size? his mate is a tad bit over 2 and a half ft and she bred last year with a different male and shes ready to go and there both extremely healthy, whadya say , is it worth a shot?

Cazador
03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Yep. He's ready. Are you going to put them both into brumation? It would increase your odds. She needs to be producing the right odor to stimulate him, and that's based on her production of pheromones (vitellogenin).

Rick

ClosedCasket88
03-06-2007, 05:42 PM
well ofcourse i would brumate both of them.
any other ideas on gettin the male a lil more pumped up
hes takin scented pinkies and worms, buti cant getahold ofany minnows or anything

Cazador
03-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Besides a good brumation, you might consider a little male-male competition for the female's attention. Sorry for the "stupid question," but I'm sure you know how many times things go wrong when you assume people are covering the basics. No offense meant.

ClosedCasket88
03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
i totaly understand you, evrything should be goodother than that , its just my local fishing shops outa minnows till the end of march n im trying to get something else in him before i clean him out n brumat him.