PDA

View Full Version : new boy is skinny and has bad skin

IndigoBug1987
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I just got a new garter about a week ago and he has pretty bad skin. It looks like he has dry rough patches all over his body. Also he feels as if he were filled with air. just skin and bones. like he is deflating. I'm sure he's never had mice before but he took to pinkies the first time i fed him. Maybe because he's so hungry?

I've been spraying him with this tropical reptile spray and keeping the tank 80% and higher in humidity. hopefully he'll get better.

IndigoBug1987
06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I'd like to add that he is pretty active. He sits and suns in his lamplight alot and is very responsive. He struck at me once but other than that he's pretty calm. (think i just scared him that time)

He doesn't act sick, just that hes malnurished.

ssssnakeluvr
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
drop the humidity....thats too high, can cause skin infections. he may have dead skin from a previous shed that didn't come off....you can put him in a bucket with warm water and rub the skin off after soaking for a few minutes...or put him in a wet pillow case....that will help the old skin come off. got any pics of him???

drache
06-09-2009, 04:08 AM
yeah - the does sound like he needs some help with the skin
the wet pillowcase works real well for my snakes

guidofatherof5
06-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Post a picture when you can. How sure are you that you have a Garter? If it's a ribbon they usually are much slimmer than most garters.

Sometime, if a snake eats a lot but they don't put on weight it could be a parasite. You really haven't had the snake long enough to make that call, yet. Getting a fecal sample to a good reptile Vet. would take that concern out of the mix. I would suggest you find a good Reptile Vet. whether you use them now or not. Knowing where one is in an emergency is good thing.
Can't wait to take a look at the little scrub. It's eating and seem active with some attitude,those are all good signs.
Sounds like he/she has someone looking out for them. Best of luck with your new addition.

jitami
06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Ditto on the pictures please :)

How warm is your room temp? I'd be tempted to turn off the basking light for now in case he's dehydrated. Have you seen him drink water? Does he have a water dish big enough that he can get his entire body into it?

IndigoBug1987
06-09-2009, 09:32 PM
yeah i've seen him drink and he likes to bask alot in the light i havn't seen him soak in the bowl yet though. How do you upload pictures again?

IndigoBug1987
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
this is him, its kinda hard to see what i'm talking about though

IndigoBug1987
06-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I was just going over there to get new pictures when i noticed boy freaking out! He was slithering around the edge of the tank kinda up and down with his head and twisting his lower body almost upside down! Is he having some sort of seizure?

Stefan-A
06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Probably not, but then again, I haven't seen it.

jitami
06-10-2009, 06:57 AM
From the picture, he does look thin... but could be a ribbon, too. Tough to say from the pic. Do you have a thermometer in his tank? If he's enjoying the basking light, and it's not over 90ish under the light, it's fine, especially since you've seen him drinking.

As for the weird movement... these guys do some weird things... is he still behaving oddly?

IndigoBug1987
06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
I havn't seen him act weird again, but i did try the wet pillowcase and it didn't seem to help with his dry patches. I'm beginning to really wonder about him. His 3rd quarter of his body is bumpy. I don't know if its the dry skin or if he in fact has something UNDER his skin.

I've taken a picture. It's not very good though, with his wriggling and the bad lighting.

guidofatherof5
06-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Are the bumps on the spine or along the sides? Try to get another photo, that would really help. I'm not sure it's in the picture for you but a check-up at a reliable reptile Vet. is a good idea.