PDA

View Full Version : Feeding routine question

Shazam
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi,

So we have a new snake, and this forum has been so helpful. We have another question. (Or two!)

We will be traveling a lot this summer and I wasn't sure how long we can potentially go between feedings. We normally give our youngish snake 2-3 minnows and 1 pinky mouse every few days. And she is always hungry.

If we go away for a week - can she last a whole week without any food? It's not that easy finding someone who will feed her.

Also, how hot can garter snakes handle? Our apartment gets very hot in the summer.

Thank you!

Shazam

ssssnakeluvr
06-08-2009, 07:45 PM
once a week feedings will be ok if you are feeding pinks. snakes were designed by nature to go for long periods without food. an extreme case in one of my snake books I got as a kid...an african rock python was fed a goat...it didn't eat for 3 years. thats a little extreme, but they can go for a week easy without food, takes a while to starve a snake to death

how hot does it get??? they can handle heat...but keep them out of direct sunlight, maybe leave a fan on with some windows cracked to circulate the air and keep it somewhat cooler

Shazam
06-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Thank you. And how many pinks then before we leave for a week? Is 2 too many? She's young still, about 18".

guidofatherof5
06-09-2009, 06:06 AM
They are little eating machines and will eat often if you let them. Going a week shouldn't be a problem. Make sure she has plenty of clean water. Maybe a couple of clean water sources while you're gone would be good.
Just a note about your minnows. Make sure they are safe minnows and not the ones containing thiaminase. Do you know what species of minnow you are feeding? Guppies are a safe fish. You can also feed salmon or trout. Glad your with us.

ssssnakeluvr
06-09-2009, 08:34 AM
at 18" the snake can eat 3-5 pinkies easy....move to fuzzy mice, they are a little bigger and won't need as many.

drache
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
looks like you've gotten plenty of good advice already
a week is really nothing to worry about food-wise
even two or three is nothing, if the snake is healthy and well-fed to begin with
water is another matter, particularly when it's hot
when it comes to that, a week is pretty much the limit, because they're likely to poop into what they've got
perhaps leave them a couple of bowls just to increase the odds toward cleanish water down the line

adamanteus
06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree with all the above... don't worry about the food, do worry about clean water.

Shazam
06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
ok, so 2 - 3 pinky mice a week or every few days? and we still have some minnows left from an earlier buy, so we will use those up and then switch to 100% mice. haven't tried fuzzy mice but the pinkies seem huge to her. much bigger than her mouth. but she manages. i stick them all together 2 mice, 3 minnows in the water bowl and she gobbles them all up. i think she would eat every single day if we fed her.