PDA

View Full Version : season change & adjusting heat/light

ephemerata
05-25-2009, 11:14 AM
This is my first summer to care for a garter. I am wondering how the season change affects his heat lamp needs. I live in Texas and it gets HOT.

Sugar the snake has both a lamp with a special herp 40 watt blue bulb atop his screen top and a heat pad under the tank. Over the winter and spring his lamp has been set for a 16 hour light cycle. Now that summer is approaching and his ambient room temperature is around 80 - but varies - old house without central AC - shall I lessen his lamp time?
(He also will stay with a friend when I am out of town in a few weeks and they do not have much AC so guessing could be 90ish ambient room temperature.)
He has been hiding out more under the bark in the day, but could be many factors - he just went into shed, added nightcrawlers to his diet last month, or maybe the increase in heat?
thanks for the advice:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I'd replace the bulb with an energy saving one and get a thermostat for the heat pad.

jitami
05-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Jen, I battle with this all the time, too. We do have central heat, but really try not to use it. I've recently removed all heat from my guys... of course, as soon as I did the weather turned a bit cooler, but nothing drastic. They do still like a basking lamp, but as Stefan said, you can use one of those curly engergy saving bulbs that don't put out any heat. If my guys get a decent amount of light during the day, I don't bother with the extra basking lamp during summer, though. (bad mommy <gg>)

ephemerata
05-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I'd replace the bulb with an energy saving one and get a thermostat for the heat pad.
will do - thanks

ephemerata
05-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Jen, I battle with this all the time, too. We do have central heat, but really try not to use it. I've recently removed all heat from my guys... of course, as soon as I did the weather turned a bit cooler, but nothing drastic. They do still like a basking lamp, but as Stefan said, you can use one of those curly engergy saving bulbs that don't put out any heat. If my guys get a decent amount of light during the day, I don't bother with the extra basking lamp during summer, though. (bad mommy <gg>)

cool - (literally) - but you keep the heat pad underneath still right? good to know that they are ok without the extra light. mine goes outside too and gets some natural sun. Guy at the specialty reptile store says 20 minutes sunshine equals one day under bulb..hmmm

jitami
05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Oops, that should have read central heat and air. But, no, I don't leave the under tank heater on at this time of year. Even when we run the A/C it doesn't get below 75 which is an 'ok' temp for them. I keep thermometers in each tank and just keep an eye on them. This is pretty easy at this point with just three tanks :) but a thermostat would be a better way to go.

ssssnakeluvr
05-26-2009, 11:20 AM
normal home temps are fine for garters, they are very cold tolerant snakes....making for easy care!!!

ephemerata
05-27-2009, 07:48 AM
What is ideal temperature to set thermostat? thanks to all, cheers:)