PDA

View Full Version : New snake is biting my daughter

Shazam
05-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi, once again, we're back here unsure what to do. Our new snake Myrtle, who we got 3 weeks ago (we had previous issues with her not coming out of her cave which turned out to be her shedding) is now biting my 8-yr-old daughter. Before Myrtle was very relaxed and comfortable when my daughter held her. And my daughter was getting used to handling her often and by herself. But then this week Myrtle bit her. I know it's that she probably thought her fingers were food, but now my daughter can't get her hand in the tank without the snake striking at her. It's very scary for her, and we don't know how to resolve it. I can't push my daughter to keep trying when it's scary for her. Thoughts welcome!

guidofatherof5
05-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Pick the snake up yourself. It should calm down, then you can hand it off to your daughter. They have their on moods, sometimes.
You could also calm the snake down while your hands are in and have your daughter put her hands in and pick the snake up.
Hope this helps.

Shazam
05-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I am not the one who normally holds the snake! I am much more nervous than my daughter is. She had months picking up the snake in school and it was always a happy snake. Now the snake is nervous and jumpy whenever we move anything in the tank. Must I really put my hand in there???

guidofatherof5
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Either that or leave the snake alone for a while. Might be coming into a shed cycle. Something has changed for the little one.
It's easy for me to tell you to just pick it up but I don't know your feelings about snakes. If you can get through your apprehensions you and your daughter can enjoy the snake together. Makes for great childhood memories. Good luck

Snake lover 3-25
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
do you feed in the tank? maybe try putting it in another container to feed? it tends to cut down aggression a lot...... also maybe instead of picking up the snake slowly put in your hand and let it crawl on itself?

drache
05-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I had an issue with a snake that turned into more of a biter, and I finally started wearing leather gardening gloves, when handling her
so it doesn't hurt to get bitten, but it's still almost as annoying as a mosquito bite
the snake just calmed down better when I wasn't trying to avoid anything any more, and then I could take the gloves off
I hope that helps

Shazam
05-22-2009, 07:51 PM
gloves! good idea! until she gets more used to us again. and she did just shed and seems more spunky after that. could we feed her more than 10 minnows a week? she seems always hungry, digging around for minnows in her water bowl. (And yes, we'll move to mice soon but are waiting for her to calm down.) she's a tween.

KITKAT
05-23-2009, 08:21 PM
First, don't ever feed her in her vivarium. That encourages associating your fingers with food. Remove her from the viv and feed her in another container.

Second, don't wear knit or woven fabric gloves, as her teeth will break off in the threads... leather is OK, but I find nothing trains a snake to stop biting faster than LATEX. Assuming you are not allergic... LOL!

Latex is bitter tasting. The snake that gets a mouth full of latex will remember the experience. If your snake gets a tooth caught in the latex, you will need to remove it carefully and gently, but I have never had a problem with that.

Yes, latex will allow the snake to pinch you a bit... but the bitter taste and the tendency of the snake to associate that bitterness with your fingers is worth it in the long run.

Just my thoughts...