PDA

View Full Version : Update on the new Eastern Garter Morph...

SnakeDoc
05-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Ok so I've been able to successfully feed the odd colored Eastern Garter that I caught a couple weeks ago. She has fed on a couple of frogs for me with ease. But now I'm trying the guppy approach. She has rubbed her nose some but not life threatening. She's extremely fast and jumpy but that is expected given her color and having to escape from being killed. I've been talking with Scott Felzer and of coarse the lovely "aSnakeLovinBabe" Shannon and they've been a big help. I plan on working to prove this possible color Morph out. Well here's the videos, enjoy... Jay

YouTube - Eastern Garter, Possible New Color Morph (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw526lYglkc)

#2 (not the best lighting but for cage reference only)
YouTube - New Eastern Garter Morph (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHT4kDIIvY)

drache
05-21-2009, 05:39 AM
wow - she is something else, isn't she?

count dewclaw
05-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Looking good. I would recommend more cover for her. I like to use fake plants - the pothos type works good. I think with more cover she will settle down better and feel more protected. She is a stunning garter for sure!

prattypus
05-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Awwwwww, she just wants to give you kisses.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
good to see she's still doing so good Jay! Fingers crossed that she was bred before you caught her!!:D

Snake lover 3-25
05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
she's stunning! i agree with LeAnn, more cover is definitely better, i'd give her a few dark caves to hide in too

SnakeDoc
05-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I will add more cover this weekend. I wanted to add some wide leaf fake plants, just need to go to Hobby Lobby...Not exactly a store I visit often...LOL!!!

I have noticed a change in her behavior, she seems to not back down what so ever. When I walk up to the tank she comes right to the front checking me out. The opposite end of the tank has a plastic plant water catcher that's about 5.5" deep with a air stone to keep the guppies alive. So far she has taken no interest in them. One question...could I try other live bare feeders like mollies or platties?

I was surprised to hear that the "fish girl" at PetSmart knew about the parasites that the Reds and Goldfish carry. I ran it by her to see how much she actually knew about the fish dept. Let me know what you guys think about other feeder fish, in the mean time I'll try some 3 day old live pinkies if I can get them away from the ASF females...LOL!

gregmonsta
05-22-2009, 05:41 AM
She is gorgeous :) ... if she fed on frogs before you could rub one around the edge of the water container .... the smell might attract her and then the movement of the guppies might set her off.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I will add more cover this weekend. I wanted to add some wide leaf fake plants, just need to go to Hobby Lobby...Not exactly a store I visit often...LOL!!!

I have noticed a change in her behavior, she seems to not back down what so ever. When I walk up to the tank she comes right to the front checking me out. The opposite end of the tank has a plastic plant water catcher that's about 5.5" deep with a air stone to keep the guppies alive. So far she has taken no interest in them. One question...could I try other live bare feeders like mollies or platties?

I was surprised to hear that the "fish girl" at PetSmart knew about the parasites that the Reds and Goldfish carry. I ran it by her to see how much she actually knew about the fish dept. Let me know what you guys think about other feeder fish, in the mean time I'll try some 3 day old live pinkies if I can get them away from the ASF females...LOL!

you have the right idea, but it's not exactly parasites, it's an enzyme that breaks down a specific vitamin molecule. But like I said, you still know to avoid goldfish and rosies!!!

SnakeDoc
05-22-2009, 09:02 AM
you have the right idea, but it's not exactly parasites, it's an enzyme that breaks down a specific vitamin molecule. But like I said, you still know to avoid goldfish and rosies!!!

Thanks Shannon and others for the info.
I know to stay away from minnows, rosies and goldfish but what about black/gold mollies and platties, these both which are live baring fish. Also I'm curious about the silversides that you fed your garter in the "earthworm to pinky" trick. Love the videos by the way. I see you like the Boamaster Racks as well. I know Mark Venhorst real well, he lives about a hour from me. It's all I keep my boas and balls in! Now he's working with PVC plastics which as you know will cut WAY back on weight. LOL

I've also decided to look into naming that particular color morph the "Cyclone" Eastern Garter. Mainly because of her nice welcoming she gives me and the other for her blues, yellows, whites and black checkers.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Marks a good guy, I LOVE his caging. I want a stack of his cages really bad. maybe some day!!! He is at every hamburg show! As for the platies/mollies, I know that mollies would be the one I choose. My reason is that mollies and guppies are both in the poecilia genus, whereas platies appear to be in a separate genus xiphophorous. If guppies are safe, I would GUESS that the mollies are also safe. But I could be wrong. Platies, I don't know anything about, either good or bad. I can tell you that true silversides are indeed a safe fish to use. I buy mine at my grocery store, who just happens to sell that species frozen in bags labeled as smelt (they are not true smelt) for people to eat. They are a whole fish, except their head is chopped off. Many of them have eggs in them :eek:

there are many brands out there who sell non-silversides as silversides though, so be careful and choose wisely. True silversides have a strong silver stripe on their side, and two fins on top, one spiny, and one soft. The guy that I was talking to on another forum helped me out and I posted our correspondence in this thread here, it can really help clear things up!

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/5408-smelt-silversides.html

bsol
05-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Man I remember catching an eastern years ago that had a really short temper and was very aggressive... she littered about 18 babies 2 weeks after I cought her!!!

bigj2484
05-23-2009, 01:05 PM
that is simply amazing but can you imagine a flame mixed with that one now that would be sweeeeeeeeet!

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-23-2009, 02:52 PM
that is simply amazing but can you imagine a flame mixed with that one now that would be sweeeeeeeeet!

that's what I aim to produce down the road with my wild caught hypo, and wild caught flame's future offspring!!! (first their own lines need to be established)