PDA

View Full Version : Broken rib

guidofatherof5
05-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I decided to separate this issue from the thread it was originally contained in.

Here's a look at Spot's broken rib x-ray. I know very little about reading x-rays but I'm hoping the break happened at the top of the rib. I can see what appears to be a hairline break in that location. I'm hoping and praying their is no spinal cord damage. She goes back to the Vet. this week.

She also had her last dose of Panacur last night. Looking for a clean fecal screen this week. Stink'in parasites!
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rib.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
05-10-2009, 01:45 PM
ooo ouch poor baby.......

gregmonsta
05-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Fingers crossed for no eggcounts in the poop ;)

drache
05-10-2009, 02:55 PM
yeah - I hope everything turns up clear
and hopefully that fracture will heal okay too

NikkiSixx
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
wait what was wrong with her?:confused: i know she had a broken rib.. but what else is wrong?

guidofatherof5
05-11-2009, 04:32 PM
wait what was wrong with her?:confused: i know she had a broken rib.. but what else is wrong?

She had parasites.

guidofatherof5
06-05-2009, 06:19 AM
She saw the Vet. last night and there has been no change. The Vet. is still hopeful she'll reagain controll of her lower 2/3. Couldn't get a fecal so we're not sure if the parasites have been taken care of. Have to go back on Tuesday to pickup a turtle that's being treat for ear infections.

guidofatherof5
06-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Tonight I discussed the Spot issue with my Vet. She has re-gained no more use of her lower 2/3's and she's gone off feed. I had seen blood in her feces and we decided to try another medicine. She's a big girl at 200g. She's getting .05ml of Albon Suspension, once a day for 5 days. Dr. B then said he wanted to give her a laser treatment at the site of her broken rib. It's a new proceedure for his office and it is to stimulate blood flow and bone growth. Hearing the word laser I saw dollar signs. My Vet bill this year is already 3 times that of last year. He told me there would be no charge for the proceedure.
I voiced my concerns about her inability to get around. He stated that the blood I saw may be related to that problem in that a snakes movement aides in the digestive process and that since she can't get around she may be having some other issues that can't be fixed. I know what he meant by that and at this point I'm not considering it. That time may come but not right now.
So, next Tuesday she goes in for a Laser treatment. Please keep the big girl in your thoughts and prayers. She's given us two fabulous groups of babies. She means a lot to our family.
Here's a picture of the girl just before she had her spring babies. She's a good girl.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/spotlast2.jpg

gregmonsta
06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Poor Spot :( ... fingers crossed for her.

drache
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I hope everything goes well for her

Mommy2many
06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Steve,

How is Spot doing?

Le Ann

guidofatherof5
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
She's not the same girl as before the injury. Hoping the laser treatment will get her on the road to something more normal.

guidofatherof5
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Here are a few photos from Spot's laser treatment. She still tested positive for worms and has been placed on another 5 days of meds.
Here's a link to the laser company Revolutionizing Laser Therapy and Pain Relief in the Veterinary Market « Companion Therapy Laser (http://www.companiontherapylaser.com/)
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/laser_treatment.jpg
She's not a very happy radix.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/upset_spot.jpg

TheArtist
07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I hope she makes a full recovery! Laser therapy is amazing! I've used it on myself and on my horse's back and it really does work

pacman77
07-12-2009, 12:27 AM
how did the rib get broken and what can the vet do for it first time I have heard of a snake broken rib maybe it happens a lot but you only one who bothers to check..well done on looking after your snake.

guidofatherof5
07-12-2009, 06:24 AM
how did the rib get broken and what can the vet do for it first time I have heard of a snake broken rib maybe it happens a lot but you only one who bothers to check..well done on looking after your snake.

That is a good question and one I can't answer. Noticed her have trouble moving after she gave birth. Looks like there was also vertebra damage also. The paralysis is in the lower 2/3's of her body. She can can move it somewhat be can't coordinate the movement with the top 1/3. I take her out daily and do physical therapy with her. She's been off feed for 3 weeks and that is my big concern now.

TheArtist
07-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry to hear things are still a bit rocky Steve :(

Um out of curiosity, that little laser that you have, how much did it cost? I'm looking into one for my carpels tunnel but the ones that I've seen are just so expensive.

prattypus
07-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear things are still a bit rocky Steve :(

Um out of curiosity, that little laser that you have, how much did it cost? I'm looking into one for my carpels tunnel but the ones that I've seen are just so expensive.

I think that's the vet's laser, right- Steve? That would be quite the getup in the home though- Turn the Radix Ranch into the Radix Rehabilitation and Relaxation Resort Ranch!

TheArtist
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I think that's the vet's laser, right- Steve? That would be quite the getup in the home though- Turn the Radix Ranch into the Radix Rehabilitation and Relaxation Resort Ranch!

It will make a lot of sense if it is the vets, because I've seen those things selling for like 300$ one with a laser the size of my fist is like 800-3000$ which really sucks, cause laser therapy works really good on aching joints and since my carpel's tunnel bothers my work, it would be helpful to have one at home (and that I could use on the horse :D )

guidofatherof5
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM

That's right. It's not my laser. Wish it was.
Then it would be the RR&RRR:D

mustang
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
It will make a lot of sense if it is the vets, because I've seen those things selling for like 300$ one with a laser the size of my fist is like 800-3000$ which really sucks, cause laser therapy works really good on aching joints and since my carpel's tunnel bothers my work, it would be helpful to have one at home (and that I could use on the horse :D )
gettn one of them is like gettn all the rail roads in monopoly ull b rich!!!

guidofatherof5
07-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I think I will contact them and see if they would like to put one at the Ranch. That way they could open their market up to more reptile owners. It's a win win situation. My radixes get help and they expand their machine's applications. This all sounds so good to me.:D How could they say No.

Snake lover 3-25
07-14-2009, 06:22 AM
That is a good question and one I can't answer. Noticed her have trouble moving after she gave birth. Looks like there was also vertebra damage also. The paralysis is in the lower 2/3's of her body. She can can move it somewhat be can't coordinate the movement with the top 1/3. I take her out daily and do physical therapy with her. She's been off feed for 3 weeks and that is my big concern now.

i was told that it's actually better for the snake not to eat if it has an injury so it can focus on healing rather than digesting..... and three weeks is not long at all... it may sound like it but meadow went off feed for 5-6 months every winter for the first 3 years i had her........ good luck hope she gets well soon:)

guidofatherof5
07-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I advised my Vet. about Spot's unchanged condition also about the problem with the swelling around the injury site. He stated he had been discussing the situation with some colleagues. The colleagues are leaning towards back surgery. My Vet. is not pleased with the success rate. So at this point I have to make a decision. Wow.

guidofatherof5
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Here's a photo of the swollen area.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/broken_vertebra.jpg

DrKate
07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
The colleagues are leaning towards back surgery. My Vet. is not pleased with the success rate.
Aw, Steve, that sucks. Back surgery is a tough call on such a small critter. I'd suggest seeing what your vet thinks about giving her a "splint" like Tang's to stabilize the area, but I don't think you'd really want to splint over the swelling.

Poor gal. Your vet seems like a really conscientious guy, I'm sure his recommendation will truly be in the patient's best interest. But that doesn't necessarily make it easier to decide what to do when it's your baby...

guidofatherof5
07-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Poor gal. Your vet seems like a really conscientious guy, I'm sure his recommendation will truly be in the patient's best interest. But that doesn't necessarily make it easier to decide what to do when it's your baby...

I have many radixes here but my girl Spot is a cut above any others. She has given great babies and had the perfect attitude. Never aggressive and seems to like the interaction of my kids and myself. I want what's best for her and her future. I don't think she'll be one of my breeders again so I owe her the best future I can provide. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I will need to hear the pros and cons of any decisions I make. As always the issue of money comes in. Making decisions based on that, makes me feel selfish. I know that's not the case but I feel I should be able to provide them with what they need. I can't and won't make my decisions based solely on money.
"I'll take a shack on a rock, over a castle in the sand"(Casting Crowns, "American Dream")

guidofatherof5
07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
My concerns for Spot are mounting. Her swollen area is getting larger. I took her to the Vet. yesterday and this x-ray was taken. Dr. B. thinks she has an abscess and administered Gentamicin(Gentamicin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentamicin)) I hope this swelling can be controlled and a decision can be made about surgery. She is still not eating. She is still passing blood in her feces.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/spot_xray1.jpg

Mommy2many
07-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Steve,

I know you will make the best decision for Spot, no matter what the direction you have to go in. Trust your Vet, he seems to be well in tune with you and yours...

My thoughts are with you & Spot this morning. It's hard being the human and trying to help sometimes.:(