PDA

View Full Version : My own stupidity!

prattypus
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I am pretty disgusted with myself. I know that Wandering Garters can eat others, but I still had them in my communal tank. I hadn't seen Mojito, my Similis, in a day, so I checked. He either got out of the tank, or the smaller Wandering had an unplanned meal.

I am hoping that he's escaped, and I just have to worry about tracking him down. So I have sealed- as much as I can, the room, and I have put out a basking lamp and a water dish with a few minnows. There's a dish of moistened worm bits too, so I hope he comes back.

As of now, the Wanderings are segregated into another tank- So P*$$ed at my own assumptions.

:mad:

Snake lover 3-25
05-03-2009, 01:49 PM
is the wandering bigger than the similis?

Stefan-A
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it just escaped. Especially if the wandering is still alive and not looking like it had swallowed something its own size (or bigger).

prattypus
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
The wandering was a little bit bigger. Not by much. I too hope Mojito made a dash for it, but the screen was weighed down by a brick and a college psych book. Being a small guy, I don't know if he could have gotten through that. I'll post pics of the wandering that I think may have done it.

prattypus
05-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Okay, Mojito may be renamed Houdini. I reraked through the various carefresh covered containers. I moved bookshelves, and the lot. I look down, and here he is peeking up through the substrate.

Color me relieved. I am still going to keep those Wandering eaters away.

Stefan-A
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Glad you found him. :)

count dewclaw
05-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Glad you found him safe and sound!

k2l3d4
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Awesome that you found him... my girl did that to me within the first week of me having her and that is why she is named hudina

Snake lover 3-25
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
glad you found him:)

drache
05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
glad you found him
and so soon

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
haha! I can't tell you how many times I have frantically searched my snakeroom before having a second or even third look in the cage and finding the snake!!!

prattypus
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't know where he was. I checked all the hides, pulled the water bowl, and raked my fingers through the carefresh, and I couldn't find him. He's the Lucy to my Charlie Brown. ARGH!

Seere121
05-04-2009, 03:54 AM
The wandering was a little bit bigger. Not by much. I too hope Mojito made a dash for it, but the screen was weighed down by a brick and a college psych book. Being a small guy, I don't know if he could have gotten through that. I'll post pics of the wandering that I think may have done it.

I had had a skinny little twig of a wandering garter who could get out of the tank no matter what we weighted it down with. He could reliably escape from the tank with at least 20lbs of books and cooking pans on it and secured with spring clips to hold it down.
I'm glad that you found him though.

CalmLikeABomb
07-28-2009, 03:33 AM
I know this post is couple months old but just found it, know exactly what this is like! This happened with my Variable Kingsnake Lucia. One day I couldn't find her and started looking everywhere I took everything out of her cage and ran fingers through it a few times, but nothing, then I looked one last time after searching my room in her cage and she popped out of the substrate startled, I was so relieved I found her.

Millinex
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I had a similar scare, when a month later the lost snake slithered up to my father while he was in the bathroom, lol I don't think cannibalism is as common as some would think amongst wanderings.. I keep 4 together and I have yet to see them eat each-other even with size differences.

celticguitar
07-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I think the only time it could be a problem if one snake is much smaller than the other , they are going after the same piece of food and they are very hungry. I feed mine right in their tank and the other night they got into a tug of war over the same worm luckily the worm snapped in the middle and they both got a piece. It looked like Lady and the Tramp in the same piece of spaghetti scene I now make sure I don't put the worms in one at a time but drop the the whole lot in at one time but in 2 seperate places to minimize fighting. but I might have to feed them in a feeding container soon as the bigger one is get quite big!
Dwight

Snaky
07-29-2009, 02:29 AM
I think the only time it could be a problem if one snake is much smaller than the other , they are going after the same piece of food and they are very hungry. I feed mine right in their tank and the other night they got into a tug of war over the same worm luckily the worm snapped in the middle and they both got a piece. It looked like Lady and the Tramp in the same piece of spaghetti scene I now make sure I don't put the worms in one at a time but drop the the whole lot in at one time but in 2 seperate places to minimize fighting. but I might have to feed them in a feeding container soon as the bigger one is get quite big!
Dwight
I agree if you are talking about non-elegans species. But I've known elegans vagrans or terrestris attacking each other without any food in sight (like 3 days after having received their dinner), really going for the kill. These were young one's of about the same size.

Stefan-A
07-29-2009, 03:18 AM
But I've known elegans vagrans or terrestris attacking each other without any food in sight (like 3 days after having received their dinner), really going for the kill. These were young one's of about the same size.
I've experienced it myself. Once with adults, where one adult vagrans attacked a larger T. sirtalis and once with a month-old young one attacking its sibling.

It's definitely something that should be taken seriously.