PDA

View Full Version : Can I get Jake a friend?

car24
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I have a 1 year old hammondii (Jake the snake). I would like to get him a friend. What are the rules of keeping more than one snake in a cage? Thanks for any help. :)

jitami
04-30-2009, 08:54 AM
You'll want to find a friend of similar size and of the same sex. Garters usually do very well housed together, but can be cannibalistic, especially if one is a lot smaller than the other. It's not common, but it does happen. Obviously, go with the same sex to avoid babies :)

Oh, and quarantine the new snake for 6-8 weeks in his own tub/tank/whatever to make sure he's not carrying something that could harm Jake!

car24
04-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Thank you! Does it matter what type of garter I get?

drache
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
not if you make certain they're the same gender
welcome to the forum

k2l3d4
05-01-2009, 12:52 AM
[quote=jitami;108228]. Obviously, go with the same sex to avoid babies :)

quote]
I wish it were that easy.... I thought that I had the same sex until the "female" decided to breed with the other actual female... come to find out I have a male and female that share the same tank.... I only have on 35 gallon tank at the moment, so I may have babies on the way.

car24
05-02-2009, 01:03 PM
What a surprise! I'm not ready for babies so I will try to post some pics today for sexing.

Stefan-A
05-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Not if they're the same gender, approximately the same size and as long as the other garter is not a wandering garter (T. elegans vagrans). They are known to occasionally be cannibalistic and I had an incident a couple of months ago involving a wandering garter attacking a slightly larger cage mate of a different garter species.