PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Garter nicked by mower!

Zephyr
04-18-2009, 09:16 AM
We were having our lawn power-raked today and somebody shouted "SNAKE!!!" Seeing as I'm not missing any at the moment, I was sort of confused but went outside anyways.
Well, somehow one of the snakes that got out of the enclosure my dad weed-wacked open two years ago is STILL ALIVE!!!
Her tail got nicked by the mower though. The bottom half of her body is limp but she's certainly fighting; she struck at me multiple times.

What do I do?! Is she gonna be okay? There's no other sign of injury other than the tiny nick on her tail, but I'm worried about the bottom half of her body. Is it just shock? Her cloaca looks a little dry and crusty too, so she's in a water bath.

Quibble
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I think she's okay, garters are tough. perhaps neosporin would help with her tail? as for the cloaca, maybe thats a sign that she has been bred recently, it could be that plug males make to keep other males from breeding with her. I'm no expert, but thats what I would guess if it were my situation. I'd keep a close eye on her too. idk maybe the limpness is a sign that she is gravid as well.

good luck!

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-18-2009, 10:12 AM
is the bottom half completely limp? Sometimes a traumatic injury coupled with the stress of the incident can cause swelling in the spine which can make part of their body limp. If that is what happened, and the injury is not too serious the swelling can retreat and she will eventually regain movement in a few hours to a day. If it's any longer than that, she may be seriously wounded, too far from repair :(

Zephyr
04-18-2009, 10:34 AM
is the bottom half completely limp? Sometimes a traumatic injury coupled with the stress of the incident can cause swelling in the spine which can make part of their body limp. If that is what happened, and the injury is not too serious the swelling can retreat and she will eventually regain movement in a few hours to a day. If it's any longer than that, she may be seriously wounded, too far from repair :(
Alright, it looks like the first one.
I just handled her again and her bottom half is wrapping about my hand, so it looks like it's just the swelling thankfully! :D
I'll double check her vent in a bit.
Thank God it wasn't something more serious...

drache
04-18-2009, 03:52 PM
congrats on getting her back
after all this time too

k2l3d4
04-18-2009, 08:06 PM
wow.... after so long and still around. Hope that she is fine.

Sid
04-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Glad to hear the limpness is already improving, Kyle.

Zephyr
04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
My only questions are...
1. Where did she brumate?
2. Could there be more garter roaming around?

Snake lover 3-25
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
wow that's neat!!! glad you found her!

azrael
04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd say keep an eye on those areas where she was found, there has to be a male close by.

Conclusion: She has been sticking close by to where you found her, she obviously has been with another male if she is Gravid, so you have more Garters in the near vicinity. Check under all those rocks mate... you know how it goes :)

Zephyr
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Hmm... I hope they aren't in my psycho neighbor's yard... Things could end badly if they are. o.o;;;

azrael
04-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Ah... hmmm... you could always try the I am trying to catch that Rattle Snake that I saw over here a few minutes ago... :p

Good Luck :D

person365
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Which Snake?