PDA

View Full Version : snake explores when lamp is off?

IndigoBug1987
04-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I just got a new tank from petco this last couple weeks. It came with a normal light and a purple light. during the day i have the normal light on and slithers stays under the woodchips and in her rock hideout all day. but almost as soon as its off and the purple lamp is on she's out and exploring. Often all throughout the night.

So i guess my question is..is the day light too hot? Or the nightlight too cold? Is she hiding from the day lamp and coming out when its cooler or is she getting too cold and moving around seeking warmth?

This tank was a starter snake kit and the lamps came with it.

IndigoBug1987
04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
btw i live in arkansas its starting to warm up pretty good during the day. the snakes however are typically around 70 degrees though.;

guidofatherof5
04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
You might have it just right. During the sunlight(day) hours Slithers stay hidden. When it gets darker out she comes. I find mine tend to do the same thing. I don't have a purple light but once I turn their normal light off they come out exploring. Sometimes into the wee hours of the morning.
I think they do a little recon. Plotting some joke to play on me or some way to get more food.:D

IndigoBug1987
04-17-2009, 11:47 PM
i think the purple light may be some kinda ultraviolet heat lamp? i dunno. So it may just be because she prefers the dark? My baby ribbon has started splorin after lights out too. she has a heating pad in her tank though so i don't worry.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I would not worry... my ribbon snakes both stay hidden all day and come out at night. You probably just have a shy-er snake. The purple lights are usually just heat lamps with a form of lighting that allows you to still be able to see, but does not disturb their day/night cycle. It's the same with the red bulbs.

k2l3d4
04-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I have two checkereds... my albino has no issues with coming out and about during the day hours but my green lady hates to come out during the day and as soon as I turn off the light is out and about.

adamanteus
04-19-2009, 02:26 AM
I also find that Checkereds prefer to be active when the lights go out. Here's a thread about this subject.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/1019-periods-activity.html?highlight=periods+activity

Stefan-A
04-19-2009, 02:59 AM
The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology (p. 99) mentions two nocturnal species: T. marcianus and T. hammondii.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I have noticed that the snakes that prefer worms often are awake at night? I'm thinking that may possibly have something to do with hunting for nightcrawlers.... hmmmm

k2l3d4
04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I have noticed that the snakes that prefer worms often are awake at night? I'm thinking that may possibly have something to do with hunting for nightcrawlers.... hmmmm

I am totally sure about that one..... My green checkered loves to come out at night only and looked at me with total disgust :eek: when I offered her those wax worm things that they sell at Petco.

Snake lover 3-25
04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
garters don't eat wax worms...... earthworms and night crawlers are what they love:)

guidofatherof5
04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I am totally sure about that one..... My green checkered loves to come out at night only and looked at me with total disgust :eek: when I offered her those wax worm things that they sell at Petco.

Wait until you offer a night crawler for the first time. Count your fingers when you're done.:D

Then you won't get that look. You'll get the "it's about time " look and the "how about a couple more" look. Then the "what! no more!" look.

bkhuff1s
04-24-2009, 09:57 AM
I offered night crawlers to my Pugets when I first received them, and they were more interested in "snuggling" with it than eating it.....